May is National Bike Month, next week is Bike-to-Work Week and May 21 is Bike-to-Work Day, according to the League of American Bicyclists.
In Wichita, the Health and Wellness Coalition of Wichita, the city's Park and Recreation Department and others have a series of bicycling events planned. Here are some:
* Saturday, May 22 and 29, 7 a.m. to noon, Bike to the Old Town or Kansas Grown Farmers Market. Bikers who register at the information booth can win a canvas market bag or market tokens to buy produce.
* Sunday, Wicked Wind 100. Lake Afton is the starting point for the 25-, 50- or 100-mile rides. Registration begins at 7 a.m. and the rides start at 8. The cost is $17 for the 25-mile ride; $30 for the longer distances. Brochures are available at area bicycle shops or at www.ozbikeclub.com.
* May 18, commuter bike rides, 5:30 p.m. from the Central YMCA. Experienced riders will help beginners on one of five routes. Riders may return to the Central Y or head out on their own. Visit bikewichita.com for more information.
* May 19, Ride of Silence. A national ride to remember fallen riders, beginning at 7 p.m. at Wichita Clinic at Eberly Farm, 13213 W. 21st St.
* May 21, Bike-to-Work Day. Riders can take their lunches to Old Town Square between 11:30 a.m. and 1 p.m. to network with other bike enthusiasts. Free bike tune-ups will be available.
* May 22, I Bike Douglas. Events include a minor bike emergency clinic at 9 a.m. in front of Heartland Bicycles, Mosley and Douglas; a maintenance clinic at 10 a.m. at the American Red Cross, 1900 E. Douglas; and safety clinics there at 10 and 11 a.m. The afternoon offers an architectural ride at 1 p.m., an art ride at 2:30, and a photographer ride at 4. Each will last about 1 hour and leave from the Wichita Downtown Development Corp., 507 E. Douglas. Coasters Bicycle Club will have a display of vintage bikes from 1 to 4 p.m. in Delano, and the Pub Pedal will begin at 6 p.m. at the Shamrock, 1724 E. Douglas. Rain date is May 29.
* May 23, Ride 'Round Town, a family bike ride that will start at 2 p.m. at Tom Sawyer's Bike Shop, 1960 S. Broadway. Riders will stop to tour three architectural sites before returning to the shop.
* Bike to Work Fridays. The Central YMCA and Wichita State University are opening to bikers who need changing and shower facilities. "Shower passes" are available at the Central Y, 402 N. Market.
* An effort to get Wichitans to log 1 million bike miles by the end of May. Go to www.MyCyclingLog.com to be a part.
* Members of the Health & Wellness Coalition will choose random riders to win a bike helmet, T-shirt, bike lock or safety vest.
More information about cycling and area cycling events is available from the Health and Wellness Coalition of Wichita and from Oz Bicycle Club. Visit www.hwcwichita.org/ resources.htm or www.ozbikeclub.com.