The Pillsbury Bake-Off is in its 45th year, and the finalists for this year’s competition have been chosen. The grand prize winner receives a whopping $1 million.
The 100 potential winners include five men, and all will prepare their original contest recipes in Orlando, Fla., on March 26.
The $1 million grand prize winner will be announced via live broadcast from Orlando on “The Martha Stewart Show” on March 27.
Pillsbury has spotted four trends among this year’s entries:
1. Modern classics, including twists on ethnic favorites
• Cranberry-Orange Baklava Pinwheels: Greek baklava with a Pillsbury pie crust drizzled with honey.
• Carrot Cake Tart: Carrot cake and pie baked together with cream cheese frosting and caramel drizzle.
• Thai Chicken Subs: Chicken in a crusty French-loaf sub sandwich.
2. Rise and Shine: Family-friendly breakfast and brunch ideas
• Dark Cherry-Chocolate Breakfast Pastry: Six ingredients turn Pillsbury crusty French loaf into a fresh fruit-chocolate treat.
• Sausage-Pomodoro Brunch Bake: Crescents topped with sausage, tomatoes, two cheeses and eggs.
• Butternut Squash Brunch Braid: Braid and bake with a savory onion, squash and Parmesan filling.
3. Small Foods, Big Flavor: Bite-size delights
• Coconut-Almond Doughnut Pop-ems: Cut-up biscuits baked into mini doughnuts, glazed and sprinkled.
• Spicy Sesame Tuna Bites: Tuna appetizer that’s spicy-hot and cool as cucumbers.
• Bacon-Cheddar Whoopie Bites: Three-cheese appetizers with savory bacon.
4. Sweet, Salty, Savory and Spicy: Sweet is a favorite, but it’s being paired with salty, savory and spicy often this year.
• Marmalade-Glazed Asian Meatball Cups: Meatball baked on crescent dough. With just six ingredients, they’re super-easy.
• Bacon-Date Scones with Orange Marmalade Glaze: Easy and delicious bacon, date and citrus combo.
• Salted Caramel Macaroons: Sea salt updates classic coconut macaroon.