Call me old-fashioned, but I'd rather get an e-mail than a Facebook message or a tweet. You just never know what e-mail will bring.
One e-mail that caught my attention last week stated in bold print: "OPEN CASTING CALL TO ALL PREGNANT WOMEN'S BELLIES ... WE WANT YOUR BUMP!"
The explanation had a word I've never encountered before: "spokesbellies." That got my attention, and I'm certainly not pregnant.
Never miss a local story.
It seems that an outfit called Blog2Print is looking for two "spokesbellies" for a print advertising campaign. SharedBook owns Blog2Print, a website that allows bloggers to easily transform their blogs into printed books.
If you're interested in being a "spokesbelly," here's the scoop: You must be a pregnant woman 18 or older who is showing your impending mama-hood. You may go to an open casting call in New York City or enter online.
If they like your big ol' belly best, they'll take a photo and superimpose their message on it. I guess that means if you're having twins or triplets, they could put a photo and text on your belly.
This is the first advertiser to buy "space" on belly bumps. And we thought there were no more "firsts" in the world.
If you think I'm making all this up, just go to Blog2print.sharedbook.com/castingcall and see for yourself.
If you end up being one of the winning bellies, call me. In the meantime, get out that cocoa butter.
Do this by Friday! _ The deadline for nominations for the Wichita Eagle Makeover is Friday at 5 p.m.
Judges will select three women and three men who will each receive a terrific free head-to-toe makeover.
Participating salons are Charisma Salon, Planet Hair and Salon Knotty. Women's clothing will be provided by Aspen Boutique, Pink Saloon and K-Lane's. Johnston's and Dillard's will provide the men's clothing. Specs will provide eyewear.
Here's the scoop:
The six winners' new looks will be unveiled at a big event, the Sisterhood of the Divine Makeover, on June 26 at the Wichita Marriott. The event is a benefit for Dress for Success, a charitable organization that provides professional attire, mentoring, life skills and other resources necessary to gain and sustain employment.
If you're not one of the six makeover winners, you'll have a chance for an on-the-spot makeover at the luncheon. The lucky winner will get a new hairstyle and makeup by Eric Fisher and an outfit from Wild at Heart. Such a deal!
It's easy to enter, so do it now:
* Send a photo taken no longer than six months ago, one you don't need returned. (You may e-mail a photo, but the judges prefer a color printed photo.)
* Include your name, age, occupation and phone numbers, including a daytime contact number.
* Tell us briefly why you want a makeover.
* Agree to be available for appointments at the salons and the retailers. (They will work with your schedule.)
* Agree to be featured in The Wichita Eagle if you are one of the six winners.
* Attend the luncheon June 27 when all the winners are unveiled. (The winners will be our guests.)
* Be available June 8 or 9 for a quick "before" photograph at The Wichita Eagle, 825 E. Douglas.
* Submit your entry by 5 p.m. June 5. Judges will choose the winners on June 8, and I will contact the three chosen that afternoon.
* Mail entries to: Bonnie Bing, The Wichita Eagle, 825 E. Douglas, Wichita, KS 67202.
* Or e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org.
How to purchase tickets for the Sisterhood of the Divine Makeover Luncheon
Tickets for the luncheon, with all proceeds going to Dress for Success, are $40. A table for 10 is $400. For tickets, call 316-945-8779.