When I told co-workers and friends last week that my column would be about the Toni doll, most of them said they'd never heard of the doll, or the Toni twins or even Toni Home Permanents.
Hah! I have been vindicated since then, with several readers calling or e-mailing me to share their own Toni memories.
For example, did you know that the Toni company used to give a big bunch of baby stuff to the first set of twins born on Jan. 1 each year? Well, it's true, and Dorrine Dix, 76, of Stockton, Kan., won the prize in 1953 when she had beautiful twin girls, the first set born that year nationwide.
One reader wrote that her Toni doll, which she named Toni, just like I did mine, helped her through some tough times when she was about 7. "Toni was my best friend at the time," she wrote.
Never miss a local story.
Judy Young just loves thinking about old television ads. "We don't see ads like that today!" she said.
Alice Kreissler says I'm the first person since she was a kid who has known what a Toni doll was. "I think she was my last doll," she said. I think she was mine too, Alice. But she was a favorite because I still have her.
A fun and enthusiastic reader named Cathy Laughlin suggested that those of us with Toni dolls should get together for a luncheon with our dolls in tow.
Move over, American Girl.
A divine opportunity
If you haven't sent in your nomination for the Sisterhood of the Divine Makeover, get moving. The deadline of June 7 will be here before you know it.
This is a great deal!
Three men and three women will win a head-to-toe makeover.
The women will be outfitted by Aspen Boutique, Pink Saloon and K-Lane's.
Men will be attired by Johnston's and Dillard's.
Those who wear glasses will get them from Specs. Salons participating are Charisma Salon, Planet Hair and Salon Knotty.
The new looks will be unveiled at a luncheon June 26 at the Marriott. It's a blast! At that event, one person will win an on-the-spot makeover, thanks to the talents of Eric Fisher's hair and makeup staff and fashion magic by Marissa at Wild at Heart.
It's easy to participate:
* Send a photo taken no longer than six months ago, one you don't need returned. (You may e-mail a photo, but the judges prefer a color printed photo.)
* Include your name, age, occupation and phone numbers, including a daytime contact number.
* Tell us briefly why you want a makeover.
* Agree to be available for the appointments at the salons and the retailers. (They will work with your schedule.)
* Agree to be featured in The Wichita Eagle if you are one of the six winners.
* Attend the luncheon June 27 when all the winners are unveiled. (The winners will be our guests.)
* Be available June 8 or 9 for a quick "before" photograph at The Wichita Eagle, 825 E. Douglas.
* Submit your entry by 5 p.m. June 5. Judges will choose the winners on June 8, and I will contact them that afternoon.
More details about the luncheon will come later.