Ever wonder why gift cards are so popular? They’re easy for the gift-giver, but even more popular with the stores. Reason? Because retailers know that as many as 10 percent of gift cards will never be redeemed.
But what if you could sell those cards and get a good chunk of their value? Or buy other people’s cards at a discount? Nice deal. Typically, you’ll get cash, Amazon or PayPal credit in return. In general, the card must be worth at least $25.
Here are some popular sites:
▪ GiftCardGranny.com: This website aggregates other sites where you can buy or sell cards. You can even sell a partial value left on a card. They sort their cards by merchant. Then, you can buy or sell directly on the selling site, whether it’s Amazon, eBay or another site. They also have a mobile app.
Never miss a local story.
▪ GiftCardRescue.com: They’ll make you an offer, you fill out a form and mail in your gift card. They say they’ll send you a check within two business days of receipt. For a $100 Home Depot card, they offered me $82.
▪ CardCash.com: This site will typically give you up to 92 percent of the card’s value. You can upload the card’s information into their system. You can get a check in the mail, via PayPal or an Amazon card, with different payout amounts. For my $100 Home Depot card, I was offered $77 cash, $82 via PayPal or $85.28 as an Amazon card.
▪ Cardpool.com: Get cash or Amazon gift credit. Pick the merchant that sold the card and see the offer to buy it. If you accept, you can upload the card number or mail it in free. They’ll send you a check or you can get a bigger payout if you accept the Amazon credit instead. They will also give you $5 if you refer a friend. They offered me $76 via check for my $100 Home Depot card, or an unspecified amount if I entered in the codes.
▪ ABCGiftCards.com: This website says it will beat the price of other major exchange sites. You upload the card codes online, or mail them in. Then they’ll pay you by check, direct deposit, PayPal or Amazon gift card: $77, $82 or $85.28 offered for the Home Depot card. They are owned by CardCash.com.