Come on, most people have done it at least once in their life – called in sick to work when they’re not actually sick.
Well today’s the day to celebrate that joyous experience, but with an excuse to do so, it’s National Stay Home Because You’re Well Day.
The holiday has no agenda other than to spend a healthful day at home. It was apparently created by Ruth and Thomas Roy, who sell herbs on a site called Wellcat.com.
The site says today’s celebration is “so we can all call in ‘well,’ instead of faking illness, and stay home from work.”
Never miss a local story.
The Roys created 80 satirical holidays posted on Wellcat.com.
Some upcoming holidays include Bathtub Party Day on Dec. 5, Show and Tell Day at Work Jan. 8 and Barbie and Barney Backlash Day Dec. 16, “when mom and dad can tell the kids that Barbie and Barney don’t exist.”
And potentially the most self-deprecating day listed on the Wellcat site is Make Up Your Own Holiday Day on March 26.
The site invites contributions about “how to celebrate” each day and encourages people to send comments to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Here are some suggestions on how to celebrate Stay Home Because You’re Well Day, according to NationalDayCalendar.com:
▪ Catch up on some reading.
▪ Take a walk.
▪ Get started on your Christmas cards.
▪ Follow a toddler around all day.
▪ Take a friend to lunch.
▪ Update your 2017 calendar.
▪ Try a new recipe and make extra to share with someone who wasn’t feeling well today.
▪ Take a nap.
▪ Plan your next vacation.
▪ Make a list of all your single friends and match them up as potential mates.
▪ Organize the photos on your phone.
▪ Work on an art project.
▪ Clean out your closet and make a donation.
▪ Post on social media with #StayHomeBecauseYou’reWellDay.