9/11 events in Kansas
09/08/2011 12:00 AM
11/24/2011 7:00 AM
Here are some of the memorial events planned in Kansas. If you are planning an event that is not listed here, please send the information to email@example.com.
* Statewide moment of silence and prayer, 9:03 a.m. Sunday.
* National moment of remembrance, noon Sunday. Ring bells, sound sirens, blow whistles.
* Memorial ceremony, Kansas Firefighters Museum, 1300 S. Broadway, 10 a.m. Sunday. Part of a simultaneous nationwide observance. Honor guard, flyover, release of white doves from Lincoln Park, adjacent to the museum.
* Unity gathering, St. Vincent DePaul Catholic Church, 123 N. Andover Road, Andover, 3 p.m. Sunday. Featuring Friends University's Singing Quakers, Hesston College's Bel Canto Choir, Newman University's Troubadours, baritone soloist Anthony Brown, cellist Jakub Omsky and Hindu Dancers. Co-sponsored by Global Faith in Action and Peacing It Together Foundation in partnership with Muslim Public Affairs Council, Hindu American Seva Charities, First Unitarian Universalist Church.
* Service of honor, Northwest Free Methodist Church, 3224 N. Tyler Road, 10:45 a.m. Sunday. Police officers, firefighters, veterans and members of the military are welcome.
* Derby day of service, High Park, 2700 E. Madison, Derby. 1-4 p.m. Sunday. Families and groups will help clean park. Materials will be supplied; participants are encouraged to wear work clothes. Information: Amy Akers, 316-788-0301.
* 3rd Annual Peace Fest, Lorraine Avenue Mennonite Church, 655 S. Lorraine. Saturday, 1-4 p.m.: Activities for children, storytelling, singing, snacks, projects. Sunday: Linda and David Kusse-Wolfe talk about "Showing Hospitality to Alien and Stranger" during 9:30 a.m. worship, 10:30 a.m. Sunday School and 1 p.m. afternoon session.
* Memorial service, Memorial Park, Anthony. Saturday: 4:30 p.m. march by military and first responders; 5:30 p.m. dinner in park; service after meal featuring David Mardis, FEMA worker at ground zero. Sunday: 6:30 a.m. breakfast for first responders and families; 7:45-9:15 a.m. service
* Memorial service and tribute, Clearwater City Park. 2 p.m. Sunday. Sponsored by Clearwater Ministerial Alliance.
* VFW Post 971 ceremony, at the post, 1610 S.E. Third St., Newton, 8:45 a.m. Sunday.
* 9/11 Never Forget memorial walk, sponsored by Potwin Fire Department. Potwin Community House Park, 201 N. Miller. Registration 7-10 a.m. Sunday. Walk of 2.3 miles (length of tower stairs), 8 a.m.- noon. Free and open to public; suggested donation of $25. Firefighters who participate may wear full gear. Information: Heath Austin, 316-200-3140.
* Memorial service and tribute, bike run, breakfast and parade, Potwin Community House Park, 201 N. Miller. Begins at 8 a.m. Sunday. 10 a.m. church service; 11:30 a.m. memorial service, followed by parade.
* Dwight D. Eisenhower Presidential Library and Museum rose garden dedication, non-denominational prayer and music performance. 1:30 p.m. Sunday. Information, Samantha Kenner, 785-263- 6764.
Join the Discussion
The Wichita Eagle is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.