Eight things you can ride at the fest
05/31/2013 7:36 AM
05/31/2013 7:36 AM
1. Helicopter. Take a three- to four-minute ride over the fest for $35 with a Wichita River Festival button. Takes off from the West Bank. Hours: 2 to 8:30 p.m. Monday through Friday, 9:30 a.m. to 8:30 p.m. Saturdays, and 10:30 a.m. to 8:30 p.m. Sunday.
2. Stand-up paddle boards. Ride for free with a Riverfest button along the river between the Douglas and Lewis Street bridges. Boards in A. Price Woodard Park at the river. Hours: 11 a.m. to 8:30 p.m. Saturdays, noon to 4 p.m. Sunday, 4 to 8:30 p.m. Tuesday and Friday.
3. Zipline. Zip along the Douglas Avenue Bridge from one end of the river to the other for $8 with a Riverfest button. Entrance on the east side of the river in A. Price Woodard Park. Hours: noon to 9 p.m. Friday, Saturdays and Sunday, 11:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. Wednesday; 5:30 to 9 p.m. Monday through Thursday.
4. Paddleboats. Take a paddleboat on the river from the Douglas Avenue Bridge for free with a Riverfest button. Hours: 11 a.m. to 8:30 p.m. daily.
5. Horses. Trained guides will lead people of all ages astride horses rescued by Hope in the Valley. Donation suggested. Near WaterWalk. Hours: 5 to 9:45 p.m. Wednesday through Friday; 10 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. June 8.
6. Carnival rides and inflatables. Children can go on the carnival rides or inflatables just to the west of Century II: 11 a.m. to 10 p.m. Fridays; 10 a.m. to 10 p.m. Saturday; 10 a.m. to 9:30 p.m. Sunday; 11 a.m. to 9 p.m. Monday and Tuesday; 11 a.m. to 9:30 p.m. Wednesday and Thursday, and 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. June 8. Free with a Riverfest button.
7. Pontoon boat. Climb aboard the SS Water Wagon for a tour of the river, leaving from the gazebo next to the Drury Plaza Hotel Broadview. Rides are $5 for adults, $4 for ages 3 to 16; free for ages 2 and under. Button required for all those 6 and older. Hours 4 to 8 p.m. Monday through Friday, 10 a.m. to 8 p.m. Saturday and Sunday; 10 to 6 p.m. June 8.
8. Your bike. This year for the first time, you can ride your bike to the fest and leave it with a bike valet for safekeeping. The service, provided by Bike Walk Wichita, will be south of the Food Court behind the library and is free. Hours: 5 to 10 p.m. Wednesday through Friday, 11 a.m. to 10 p.m. Saturdays. You can also take part in a guided tour through downtown on your bike, from 10 to 11 a.m. Sunday and June 8, departing from the same spot as the valet. Free with a Riverfest button.