Fabulous fish spots for Lent
03/11/2011 12:00 AM
03/11/2011 12:05 AM
Diners who like fish have become resigned to our landlocked fate: Wichita is just never going to be a seafood destination.
But that doesn't mean that Wichita diners are sentenced to a life of steak and 'taters.
In observance of Lent — a time when some people abstain from meat for religious reasons — we offer this list of restaurants that offer classy, exotic and deep-fried fish and seafood dishes.
* Newport Grill, 1900 N. Rock Road, 316-636-9555: Wichita's newest seafood restaurant flies it in fresh six days a week and offers a menu filled with everything from shrimp and scallops to trout and salmon. One of the restaurant's chefs will be putting on a seafood cooking demonstration and meal on Sunday at Cooking at Bonnie's Place. Make reservations right away at www.wichitatreehouse.com or by calling 316-686-2600.
* Gaslamp Grille, 550 N. Rock Road, 316-260-1432: The new fine-dining restaurant offers a raw bar featuring fresh shucked oysters, prawns, king crab legs, oyster shooters and peel-and-eat shrimp.
* Legends, in the Airport Hilton at 2098 Airport Road, 316-945-5272: The restaurant offers a Saturday night seafood buffet overflowing with snow crab legs, peel-and-eat shrimp, seafood crepes and seafood pasta. It's offered from 5 to 10:30 p.m. and is $29.95 a person.
* Bonefish Grill, 10250 E. 13th St., 316-315-0299: Visit this seafood chain and you may find yourself tempted to give up all food except Bang Bang Shrimp for Lent.
* The Seafood Shop, 6470 E. Central, 316-425-8862: This retail fish market serves lunch to go from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. Fridays and dinners to go Tuesdays through Saturdays, featuring dishes such as salmon with lemon cream sauce and mussels with tomato sauce over linguine. Call-in orders are encouraged.
* Red Lobster, 555 S. West St. and 333 S. Towne East Mall Drive: The seafood chain is in the midst of an amazing event called Lobsterfest, which offers customers several lobster specials, including a lobster, crab and shrimp trio. Lobsterfest continues through April 25.
* Kanai, 12111 W. Maple, 316-719-2929: The fancy west-side sushi restaurant offers a menu that focuses almost exclusively on seafood, served raw, in rolls, tempura-fried, etc. Hana Cafe at 325 N. Mead and Sumo at 11233 E. 13th St. are also good sushi options.
* Sabor, 309 N. Mead, 316-201-4880: The Latin restaurant is one of many local purveyors of fish tacos. Theirs are among the best, though, and they'll also make a vegetarian taco upon request. On the Border also serves great fish tacos.
* Pho Hot Bistro, 306 N. Rock Road, 316-440-6698: Vietnamese cuisine showcases fish nicely, and few do it better than Pho Hot, which offers seafood pho, grilled shrimp, crab fried rice and charcoal-grilled fish, among other dishes. Saigon at 1103 N. Broadway also offers good Vietnamese seafood options.
Fried and fabulous
* The Wichita Fish Co., 1601 W. Douglas, 316-265-3474: The restaurant serves a whole array of fabulous fish, both fried and grilled. Among the crispy options: popcorn shrimp, battered clams, fried oysters, breaded scallops and Southern-style catfish.
* Fat Ernie's, 2806 S. Hydraulic, 316-554-7371: This Wichita diner serves all-you-can-eat fried catfish nuggets from 11 a.m. to 9 p.m. every Friday. It's $6.95 and comes with all-you-can-eat salad and choice of potato.
* River City Brewery, 150 N. Mosley, 316-263-2739: The pub offers some of Wichita's most popular fish and chips, coated in a beer batter made from the restaurant's own brewed beer. Other respected fish and chips in town: The Anchor and Old Chicago.
* Freddy's Frozen Custard, several Wichita locations: Freddy's is bringing back its fish sandwich and fish and chips, but they'll be on the menu only until April 27.
Join the Discussion
The Wichita Eagle is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.