Last week. we published a list of restaurants offering special meals and events for Valentine's Day, which you still can see by visiting www.kansas.com/entertainment/restaurants/. During the course of the week, we've learned of several more. Among them:
1. HuHot, 2035 N. Rock Road, 316-558-3630: The Mongolian grill is offering "Khan's Khupid's Feast," a deal that includes two grill meals, a shared appetizer or dessert and two house wines or draft beers for $29.95. The deal is available throughout February.
2. Abuelo's: 1413 N. Waterfront Parkway, 316-634-2230: The Mexican restaurant is offering a dinner-for-two special good Thursday through Monday that includes a fajita trio — grilled steak and chicken plus two skewers of Yucatan barbecue basted shrimp, served with grilled onions, charro beans guacamole, sour cream, shredded cheese, pico de gallo and flour tortillas, plus a flan dessert for $29.99.
3. Papa John's: The pizza chain will once again offer its heart-shaped pizzas. Because nothing says love like pepperoni.
New restaurant alert
Among the restaurants that should open in Wichita in the next several months:
* Gorditas Durango will go in the former Laura's Super Tortas space at 527 W. 13th St. and will serve gorditas and other Mexican specialties. It should open in a few months.
* Wichita Brewing Co & Pizzeria should open this spring in the former Play It Again Sports space on the southwest corner of 13th and Tyler.
* A new tea bar is planned by owners of the Donut Whole at 1720 E. Douglas and should open right next door in April.
* Sit @ Thai Bistro owners are planning to open a second restaurant in the former Taco Shop space on Central near Oliver.
Eat in a barn
The Red Barn is a restaurant on the east side of Lake Afton (technical address: 24401 W. MacArthur Road, Goddard) that's open limited hours but serves Mexican food, including homemade tamales and fried tacos, barbecue and breakfast on the weekends. Winter hours are 3 to 7 p.m. on Fridays, 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. Saturdays and 7 a.m. to 3 p.m. Sundays. The hours will be extended come spring. For more information, call 316-794-3320, or to read more about the restaurant, visit blogs.kansas.com/dining and search for The Red Barn.