Numerous restaurants in Wichita will be open on Christmas
Chinese and other restaurants will be open on the holiday — all is right with the world.
12/24/2010 12:00 AM
12/13/2013 7:38 AM
The movie "A Christmas Story" has so many fabulous scenes, from the frozen tongue-on- a-pole to the arrival of the cherished and very "fra-gee-lay" leg lamp.
But as a food fan, my favorite scene is at the end of the movie, when the family — whose much anticipated Christmas turkey has been devoured by dogs — has its holiday meal at the local Chop Suey Palace.
Serenaded by the staff in broken English, they laugh, snort and dine on roast duck — squealing when the manager whacks off its head.
"That Christmas will live in our memories as the Christmas we were introduced to Chinese turkey," the narrator says. "All was right with the world."
That scene has always made me want to go to a Chinese restaurant on Christmas Day, and a few years ago, I made it happen.
To accommodate various schedules, my family had agreed to celebrate Christmas at my house on Dec. 26, which meant that on Dec. 25, we had no dinner plans.
A big group of us giddily caravanned to Lee's, a Chop Suey Palace-esque restaurant at 6215 W. Kellogg.
It wasn't just any Chinese restaurant meal we enjoyed that night. The cashew chicken tasted special, and all the diners in the restaurant felt like they were part of an exclusive Christmas club. The people at the next table laughed and sang along when we broke into a version of "Deck the Halls" inspired by that scene in "A Christmas Story."
Schedules are such again this year that it looks like the Neil clan will be able to make another visit to a Chinese restaurant on Christmas Day.
All is right with the world.
Following is a little reminder of some of the restaurants open and serving on Christmas Day.
* Gaslamp Grille & Lounge, 550 N. Rock Road: Dinner served from 5 to 10 p.m.
* Asia Town Buffet, 6160 E. Central: Open from 11 a.m. to 10 p.m.
* Beijing Bistro, 11309 E. Kellogg: Open from 11 a.m. to 9 p.m.
* Buffet City, 601 N. West St.: Open from 11 a.m. to 9:30 p.m.
* China Star Super Buffet, 5825 W. Central: Open from 11 a.m. to 10 p.m.
* Hibachi Grill Sushi Buffet, 511 S. West St.: Open 11 a.m. to 10 p.m.
* Great Wall, 410 N. Hillside, 1812 S. Seneca and 2130 N. Tyler: Open 11 a.m. to 10:30 p.m.
* Kwan Court, 1443 N. Rock Road: Offering a Christmas buffet from 11 a.m. to 9 p.m. Reservations recommended at 316-634-1828.
* Lee's Chinese Restaurant, 6215 W. Kellogg: Open from 11 a.m. to 10 p.m.
* Promise Thai Cuisine, 313 S. Greenwich: Open from 11 a.m. to 9 p.m.
* Saigon Restaurant (Vietnamese), 1103 N. Broadway: Open from 10 a.m. to 9:30 p.m.
* Sakura (Japanese), 7820 E. Harry: Open from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. and 5 to 10 p.m.
* Sino, 13303 Maple, No. 105: Open from noon to 9 p.m.
* Tom's Lotus Garden, 822 S. Broadway: Open from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m.
* World Buffet Grill, 2243 N. Ridge Road: Buffet served from 11 a.m. to 9:30 p.m.
* Yen Ching, 430 N. Rock Road: Open from 11 a.m. to 10 p.m.
* Cinnabar Cafe, inside the Marriott at 9100 Corporate Hills Drive. Buffet served from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. Reservations required at 316-651-0333.
* Harvest Kitchen/Bar, inside the Hyatt Regency, 400 W. Waterman. Buffet, served in the Eagle Grand Ballroom, from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. Restaurant open and serving from the menu from 6:30 a.m. to 2 p.m. and from 5 to 10 p.m. Reservations recommended at 316-293-1234.
* Bishops Family Dining, 4200 W. Kellogg: Buffet is served from 10:30 a.m. to 6 p.m.
* Denny's, 5700 W. Kellogg, 4024 E. Harry and 8030 E. Kellogg: Open 24 hours.
* Fox and Hound, 1421 Waterfront Parkway: Open from 6 p.m. to 2 a.m.
* Furr's Family Dining, 1606 S. Georgetown: Buffet is served from 10:30 a.m. to 6 p.m.
* Golden Corral, 616 S. Ridge Road Circle and 11006 E. Kellogg: Buffet served from 9 a.m. to 8 p.m.
* Hooters, 6921 E. Kellogg: Open from 4 p.m. to midnight.
* IHOP, 515 S. Ridge Circle, 3505 N. Rock Road and 11855 E. Kellogg: Open 24 hours.
Join the Discussion
The Wichita Eagle is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.