The new restaurant in the former Quizno's building at 602 N. Tyler (316-978-9288) features food by Wichita chef Roni Attari. It's open from 11 a.m. to 9 p.m. daily. Among the items on the menu:
1. Soups, salads and sandwiches: Among the most tempting offerings: a warm goat cheese salad and sandwiches that are both Mediterranean (beef and chicken schwarma) and Latin (chorizo).
2. Flatbread pizzas and quiches: The menu features three of each. The Madrid flatbread is made with Spanish chorizo, corn, roasted poblano peppers, onions and smoked tomato crema with cilantro. The Alsacienne quiche is made with bacon, caramelized onions, mushrooms and Swiss cheese.
3. Latin style soft tacos: Choose from fried fish, grilled chicken or vegetarian.
4. Many vegetarian options: The menu has a vegetarian offering in nearly every category. The Strictly Vegan Wrap, for example, is made with hummus, cucumbers, roasted bell pepper, olive salad, fresh spinach and alfafa sprouts on pita.
Yia Yia's at 8115 E. 21st St. is hosting a Sam Adams beer dinner on Tuesday that will feature information from a Sam Adams representative and food made by the restaurant's new executive chef, David Varner. The dinner is five courses — including a slow-roasted ancho pork served with tomatillo-infused marrow beans and a grilled peach mole — and each course will be paired with a different Sam Adams beer. The dinner is $50 a person and will start at 6:30 p.m. For reservations, call 316 -634-1000.
Several new restaurants are planned for Wichita. Among them:
* Froggar's BBQ: The restaurant will open May 25 in the building that once was Miller's Bar-B-Que at 13th and Oliver.
* Panera: A new one will go in at Ridge Road and University, between Maple and Kellogg, across from Lowe's.
* Freddy's Frozen Custard: The local steakburger chain will open a restaurant at the same location as the new Panera. Both should open this fall.
* New Jeremy Wade restaurant: Former Yia Yia's chef Jeremy Wade plans to open a "New American" restaurant in the newly renovated Drury Plaza Broadview Hotel. It should be ready next spring.