Editor's note: This was first published in The Eagle on Jan. 15, 2010. Since then, Caffe Moderne, Da Nang, Kim Huong, Kwan Court, Laura's Super Tortas and Maharaja are closed. Metro Grill is now at Central and Maize instead of Towne East Square, and Frida's is now Molino's at Ninth and Waco.
Tanya Tandoc's foodie credentials are firmly intact. Not only did she run a very popular Wichita restaurant — Tanya's Soup Kitchen — but she's also a notorious fan of food, especially off-the- beaten-path local food.
So when Tandoc posts on her Facebook page a list of local dining recommendations, her 1,002 (and counting) friends tend to listen.
The list was so interesting, we asked permission to re-publish parts of it here, written in her own unique voice.
Never miss a local story.
* The Artichoke, 811 N. Broadway: Nancy's #8 with jalapenos, light on the cream cheese
* The Anchor, 1109 E. Douglas: Sweet potato fries, chicken fajita quesadilla
* The Beacon, 909 E. Douglas: Vegetable plate (I know it's weird, but I don't like breakfast food). Everything on the plate is white.
* Bella Luna: Hummus shawarma with chicken
* Byblos, 3088 W. 13th St.: Falafel, or the chicken sandwich
* Caffe Moderne, 300 N. Mead: The Josephine sandwich
* Copper Oven, 2409 W. 13th St.: Saturday breakfast specials
* Da Nang, 1556 N. Broadway: Banh Mi (Vietnamese sandwich) with extra vegetables
* De Fazio's, 2706 N. Amidon: Chicken piccata
* Donut Whole, 1720 E. Douglas: For me it is the cherry cordial all the way.
* Taqueria El Paisa, 2227 N. Arkansas: Tacos al pastor, shrimp cocktail, chile relleno plate
* Freddy's Frozen Custard: Steakburger, chocolate custard
* Frida's, 1580 W. 21st St., carnitas piratas
* Hana Cafe, 325 N. Mead: Sushi, bibimbap, nearly everything is good.
* Harry's Uptown, 3023 E. Douglas: B-52 burger or the sirloin steak
* Japan Express, 2250 N. Rock Road: I love everything.
* Juarez Bakery, 1068 N. Waco: Yes.
* Kim Huong, 1015 N. Broadway: #16 Pho with brisket and lean beef
* Knolla's: All their pizzas are fabulous, but we always get one with everything.
* Kwan Court, 1443 N. Rock Road: Dragon roll, shrimp with black beans
* La Galette, 1017 W. Douglas: Lentil soup, potato pie, fattouch
* Larkspur, 904 E. Douglas: Salmon Nicoise salad (I have eaten at least 300 of these if not more).
* Laura's Super Tortas, 1425 E. Central: Whatever you get will be delicious. Add guacamole and don't eat again for days.
* Le Monde, 602 N. West St.: Whatever the special is
* Luciano's: 216 W. Main St., Mulvane: OMG anything
* Maharaja, 1701 N. Broadway: Just go there.
* My Tho, 500 E. Central; #4
* Malaysia Cafe, 7777 E. 21st St. and 601 S. Greenwich: Beef rendang, any spicy weird curry thing
* Manna Wok, 4865 E. Harry: Stone bowl rice; the kimchee is out of this world.
* Metro Grill, Towne East Square: Just go there and eat anything. Love the Bob sandwich.
* My Cahn, 2959 S. Hillside: Caramel catfish
* N&J Cafe, 5600 E. Lincoln: Cabbage rolls, hummus, baba ghanoush, fattouch, pretty much everything is delicious.
* Nancy's Amazing Sandwiches, 5125 N. Maize Road: My old Milano sandwich
* Old Mill Tasty Shop, 604 E. Douglas: Green chili, chicken salad sandwich, specials
* Passage to India, 6140 E. 21st St.: Samosas, naan, chicken saag, chicken tikka masala, lamb biryani
* Pho Hot, 2409 E. Pawnee: ANYTHING
* Piccadilly, 7728 E. Central: Ciabatta bread and bakery items
* Rostizeria Los Reyes, 512 W. 21st St.: Chicken mole, their fresh tortillas
* Sumo, 11233 E. 13th St.: Sushi, of course, and expensive fancy cocktails
* Sabor, 309 N. Mead and 1720 N. Webb Road: Fish tacos
* Saigon, 1103 N. Broadway: Spring rolls, plate A6 with grilled chicken and kimchee
* Sport Burger, 134 N. Hillside: Yes, please
* Thai House, 969 N. West St.: Tom Kha
* Thai Tradition, 650 N. Carriage Parkway: Green curry, red curry, duck curry, fried spring rolls
* Uptown Bistro, 301 N. Mead: Wine and the special, thank you!
* Usuleteco Salvadoran, 1714 E. Northern St.: Pupusas and pina drink
* Watermark Cafe, 4701 E. Douglas: Turkey sandwich, tomato bisque, Mediterranean wrap, meat loaf sandwich
* Zaytun, 2020 N. Woodlawn: Persian lunch buffet, cute waiters!