Ruben's Mexican Grill, the restaurant that's conveniently located near all of the River Festival action at 520 W. Douglas, is putting on Ruben's Blockfest, an event that will run throughout the festival and include nightly food, drinks, live bands, a karaoke contest and more. For more information and to get a flyer of the full lineup, visit Ruben's or call 316-262-2412.
Wichita native Jenny Detra will display her soulful, bluesy vocals with her band Good Cookin' at 7:30 p.m. Saturday at Clifton Wine & Jazz, 3700 E. Douglas. Admission is $5.
It's First Friday again. Following are the venues participating in the monthly Old Town music event. (Note that some venues may require a cover charge, so check in advance.)
* Powerlifter, The Electric Collective, Bruder, Zsa Zsa Ketzner (dance party, experimental, electronica): 6 p.m., Farm & Art Market Plaza.
* Robin Roberts and Billie Preston (folk), 6:30 p.m., CityArts, 334 N. Mead.
* Truckstop Honeymoon with Pop & the Boys (bluegrass, thrashgrass), 7 p.m., Frida's, 1580 W. 21st St.
* Jeff Gordon (jazz), 7 p.m., Oeno, 330 N. Mead.
* Jazz Friends featuring Beau Jarvis, Caleb Drummond, Tat Hidano and Lisa Hittle, 7:30 p.m., Larkspur, 904 E. Douglas.
* Sirius 2 (jazz), 8 p.m., Riverside Perk, 1144 N. Bitting.
* Colton & Zara with Last Place (folk), 9 p.m., Mead's Corner, 430 E. Douglas.
* Spirit of the Stairs, Vehicles, Roman Numerals (progressive, rock, experimental), 9 p.m., Rock Island Live, 101 Rock Island.
* Dialin' Watts and Surphace (alt rock, progressive), 10 p.m., Blue Lounge, 608 E. Douglas.
* Slumber Solution, Flat Land Dub Club, Sinizen (alt rock, dub, reggae), 10 p.m., Kelly's Irish Pub, 917 E. Douglas.