Best bets in theaters
▪ “Good Time” – This Cannes Film Festival hit is earning raves for Robert Pattinson as a bank robber trying desperately to rescue his brother from prison.
▪ “The Only Living Boy in New York” – Director Marc Webb returns to indie fare in this drama about a recent college grad (Callum Turner) adrift in New York City whose life gets upended by his father’s mistress.
Never miss a local story.
Also new this week
▪ “All Saints” – This faith-based drama follows a pastor (John Corbett) sent to close a church who turns things around with the help of a group of refugees from Southeast Asia.
▪ “Birth of the Dragon” – This chronicles a young real-life Bruce Lee, who in 1965 San Francisco challenged kung fu master Wong Jack Man to a martial arts fight that gave birth to his fame.
▪ “Leap!” – Kiddie animation about an orphan girl who dreams of becoming a ballerina and flees her rural town for Paris, where she passes as someone else and becomes a pupil with the Paris Grand Opera.
▪ “Monterey Pop” – The Fox Film Series presents this 1968 documentary about the Monterey International Pop Festival, which took place in 1967 and featured performances by such music icons as Jimi Hendrix, Janis Joplin, Otis Redding, Simon and Garfunkel, the Who and more. The film will be shown at 7 p.m. Friday, Aug. 25, at the Orpheum Theatre, 200 N. Broadway. Tickets are $8. Doors will open at 5:30 p.m. for an after-work party with food trucks and drink specials.