New this week
▪ “Wonder Woman” – Early word is good – thankfully – on the first superhero film to have a woman – Gal Gadot – front and center and also be directed by a woman – Patty Jenkins. Gadot stars as Diana, princess of the Amazon, who is raised on Paradise Island. When a pilot (Chris Pine) crashes there and tells her of conflict in the outside world, Diana leaves home for the first time to join the fight.
▪ “Captain Underpants: The First Epic Movie” – The wildly popular kids books get adapted for the big screen (in apparently what will be a franchise), following two grade school pranksters who hypnotize their principal and trick him into believing he is an absurd superhero.
Never miss a local story.
▪ Admission to movies Wednesdays at Warren Old Town, 353 N. Mead, are $5 (some restrictions apply).
▪ Admission to movies on Tuesdays at the Palace, 535 S. Ridge Road Circle, are $1.50.
▪ The Hutchinson Mall 8, 1500 E. 11th Street in Hutchinson, is offering a kids series for $3. “The Lego Batman Movie” will be at 10 a.m. Tuesday, June 6, through Thursday, June 8. “Storks” will be June 13-15, “Trolls” June 20-22 and “Ice Age: Collision Course” June 27-29.
▪ The Derby Plaza Theatres at 1300 N. Nelson Drive in Derby will offer $2 kids movies beginning with “Ratchet and Clank” at 10:30 a.m. Tuesday, June 6, through Thursday, June 8. “Storks” will be June 13-15, “Sing” June 20-22 and “The Secret Lives of Pets” June 27-29.