Screen Scene: Movie best bets this week (Feb. 28)
02/28/2014 7:29 AM
02/28/2014 7:31 AM
Best bets this week• “The Wind Rises” – This Oscar nominee for best animated feature is about the life of Jiro Horikoshi, who would go on to design the Zero, Japan’s World War II fighter plane.
• “Stalingrad” – Speaking of World War II, this drama – a huge hit in its native Russia – follows a band of Russian soldiers who fight to hold a strategic building in their devastated city against a ruthless German army. In Russian and German with English subtitles (yes, you will have to read). The film should be visually spectacular, though, in IMAX 3-D.
Also opening Friday• “Anchorman 2: The Legend Continues: Super-Sized R-Rated Version ” – Nobody knows how to wear out a welcome like newsman Ron Burgundy (Will Ferrell), so we get this re-release of the sequel with a raunchier rating (it was originally PG-13) and – apparently someone counted –763 new jokes.
• “Non-Stop” – Still refusing to age, Liam Neeson continues to fancy himself an action star, as he plays a U.S. air marshal on a flight from New York City to London who receives a series of text messages demanding the airline transfer $150 million into an off-shore account or a passenger on the flight will be killed every 20 minutes. That’ll put a damper on beverage service.
• “Son of God” – This historical drama portrays the life of Jesus, from birth through his preaching, crucifixion and resurrection.
Where to watch the Oscars on Sunday
Some Oscar parties around town:• “A Night on the Red Carpet” – This benefit for Episcopal Social Services will feature live and silent auctions, a wine pull, food and live entertainment in addition to viewing the Oscars. Doors open at 6:30 p.m. Sunday at Abode Venue, 1330 E. Douglas. Tickets are $80 (a portion of it is tax-deductible) and can be purchased online at ess.ticketleap.com/redcarpet2014 or at the door. For more information, call 316-269-4160.
• “Annual Oscar Party” – Rain Cafe and Lounge, 518 E. Douglas, will offer a ballot contest with prizes, two-for-one well drinks and half-priced burgers. Ballots must be filled out before the Oscars begin at 7 p.m. Sunday. Must be 21 after 11 p.m.
• “Watch the Oscars with Tallgrass” – Tallgrass Film Association is hosting this “unofficial” viewing party starting at 6 p.m. Sunday at the Monarch, 579 W. Douglas (under 21 admitted). Drink specials for those of age include $3 bottles of beer and draws.
Join the Discussion
The Wichita Eagle is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.