"The Absolutist" by John Boyne (Other Press, $16.95) Disowned by his family, 21-year-old Tristan Sandler enlists in the English army, hoping to prove himself. Instead, with Will, he finds an unlikely friendship that will not only bring Tristan happiness, but also confusion and unbearable pain. From the author of "The Boy in the Striped Pajamas" comes a tragic yet beautiful story of passion, jealousy and heroism; one that is sure to become a modern classic.
"The Impeachment of Abraham Lincoln" by Stephen L. Carter (Knopf, $26.95) What if Abraham Lincoln survived his assassination attempt and instead faced impeachment? Two years after the Civil War ends, Lincoln finds himself in this position. The novel follows a 21-year-old black woman, Abigail Canner, who is an assistant clerk in the law firm hired to defend Lincoln, as she works next to white clerks, even coming in contact with the president himself. However, when the lead council is brutally murdered, she finds herself caught up in a web of intrigue and conspiracy reaching the highest level of government. Simultaneously a courtroom drama, murder mystery, thriller, and an alternative history, this novel is a gripping story of suspense.
Never miss a local story.
1. "The Chaperone" by Laura Moriarty
2. "Rules of Civility" by Amor Towles
3. "Crossing the Blue Willow Bridge" by Nancy McCabe
4. "Symphony in the Flint Hills" by Louise Carlin
5. "Nothing Daunted" by Dorothy Wickenden
6. "Gone Girl" by Gillian Flynn
7. "Fifty Shades of Grey" by E.L. James
8. "The Bay of Foxes" by Sheila Kohler
9. "Freeman" by Leonard Pitts, Jr.
10. "The Social Animal" by David Brooks
Source: Watermark Books & Cafe