"Gold" by Chris Cleave (Simon & Schuster, $27) From the author of "Little Bee" comes a tale of two cyclists with Olympic aspirations. The two 32-year-old women have a 13-year past between them. Each wants to win gold, and each has more than a medal to lose. Just in time for the Olympics, Cleave looks at the values we take into our intimate relationships, and the sacrifices we make for those we love.
"Shadow of Night" by Deborah Harkness (Viking, $28.95) Following "A Discovery of Witches", "Shadow of Night" is the second book in the "All Souls" trilogy. Through the intelligent weaving of academic study and fantasy, Harkness once again thrills readers with a rich tapestry of alchemy, magic and history. A great witch/vampire story for adults.
Never miss a local story.
1. "Freeman" by Leonard Pitts, Jr.
2. "Porch Lights" by Dorothea Benton Frank
3. "The Chaperone" by Laura Moriarty
4. "Nothing Daunted" by Dorothy Wickenden
5. "Rurally Screwed" by Jessie Knadler
6. "Rules of Civility" by Amor Towles
7. "Radiating Like a Stone" edited by Myrne Roe
8. "Forward From This Moment" by Leonard Pitts, Jr.
9. "Fifty Shades of Grey" by E.L. James
10. "Fifty Shades Darker" by E.L. James
Source: Watermark Books & Cafe