9 things to do in Wichita this Labor Day weekend
08/30/2014 6:39 AM
08/30/2014 7:10 AM
1. Black Arts Festival: Vendors, art, activities and food. Noon to 9 p.m. Saturday through Monday, McAdams Park, 1329 E. 13th St.; Unity Parade 11 a.m. Saturday, lining up at 17th and Holyoke and proceeding down 17th to the park. Admission is a $3 button. www.shout.lt/B2kL
2. Whole Foods sneak peek: Tours inside on a space-available basis; live music, food trucks and kids’ activities in the parking lot, 9 a.m. to 8 p.m. Saturday, 1423 N. Webb Road
3. Iron Chef competition at the farmers market: Local chefs compete in cooking with a particular ingredient, 8:30 a.m. Saturday, Old Town Farmers Market, First and Mosley.
4. Color Vibe 5K race: 9 a.m. Saturday; packet pickup 7 to 9 a.m., Kansas Coliseum, 1279 E. 85th St. North. $50 for ages 13 and older and free for children 12 and under with a paid adult. After party, 9:30 to 11 a.m. www.thecolorvibe.com/wichita.php.
5. Age of the Gunfighter: Gun fights, fast-draw contests and historical character re-enactments, 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Saturday, Old Cowtown Museum, 1865 W. Museum Blvd. Members free; $7.75 adults; $6.50 seniors; $6 ages 12-17; $5.50 ages 4-11; ages under 4 free. 316-350-3323
6. Wonders of Mexico: Dances and songs from different regions of Mexico, 5 and 8 p.m. Saturday, Orpheum Theatre, 200 N. Broadway. $20 in advance, $25 at the door.
7. Cherokee Maidens and Sycamore Swing at Prairie Rose Chuckwagon Supper: Horse-drawn wagon rides, cowboy movies, performers, 5 p.m. Saturday, 15231 SW Parallel in Benton. $30 adults; $10 ages 6-12; $5 ages 3-5; ages 2 and under free. 316-778-2121
8. Food Trucks at the Fountain: Seven food trucks plus live music, 11:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. Sunday, near the WaterWalk fountain at 515 S. Main.
9. Pink Heals Poker Run 2014: 7 a.m. to 10 a.m. Sunday, registration and breakfast; 8 a.m. to 3 p.m. motorcycle run; 4 p.m. live and silent auction; 5 p.m. barbeque, American Legion Post 256, 4301 W. Pawnee. Proceeds benefit Pink Heals Wichita and local cancer patients. Breakfast $6 adults, $3 children. 316-300-6336
Join the Discussion
The Wichita Eagle is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.