Eagle’s Holiday Cookbook recipe contest deadline is Sept. 23
08/24/2013 12:00 AM
09/05/2013 6:04 PM
Cooks have until Sept. 23 to enter The Wichita Eagle’s annual Holiday Cookbook recipe contest.
The first-place winners in each category will receive a $100 Visa gift card and a $100 gift certificate from the Spice Merchant. Second-place winners will receive a $50 Visa gift card and $50 Spice Merchant gift certificate. Third-place winners will receive a $50 Visa gift card and a $25 Spice Merchant gift certificate.
Categories in the cookbook contest this year are:• Appetizers
• Main course
• Ethnic food – This category is for any type of dish – from appetizers to desserts – as long as it reflects the cuisine of another country.
• Potluck – Everyone gets invited to a potluck dinner sooner or later. Enter recipes for side dishes, such as soup, chili, breads or salad.
• Secret Ingredient – This year’s Secret Ingredient is winter squash. Any squash that’s readily available in local stores in November qualifies, including pumpkin, butternut squash and zucchini.
Once we’ve selected the top recipes in each category, a panel of judges will choose the winners. Those top three – plus other qualifying recipes – will be printed in the Holiday Cookbook.
Recipes will be judged on taste, appearance, clarity of cooking directions and creativity.
Each contestant may enter only one recipe per category. Only Kansas residents are eligible to win. Eagle employees and their families are not eligible.
At the top of each page, include the following information in this order:
1. Category in which recipe is to be judged.
2. Name of sender.
3. Address, including ZIP code.
4. Daytime phone number (or best number to reach you).
5. Title of recipe.
6. List all ingredients, followed by directions in standard recipe form.
7. Short, personal comments about the recipe’s origin or any other detail you care to share.
We’re looking for originality and creativity. Do not submit recipes directly from a website or book without changing at least three ingredients.
You may submit entries by e-mail or mail, but they must be typed, not handwritten or scanned in.
All recipes must be e-mailed or postmarked by midnight Sept. 15.
Mail entries to: Holiday Cookbook Contest, The Wichita Eagle, 825 E. Douglas, Wichita, KS 67202; or e-mail entries to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Questions? Contact Jean Hays at email@example.com or 316-268-6557.
Join the Discussion
The Wichita Eagle is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.