Bars to celebrate St. Patrick’s Day with food, music, drink specials
03/14/2013 2:31 PM
03/14/2013 2:32 PM
For his first St. Patrick’s Day party a decade ago, Shamrock Lounge owner Dave Stough cooked four corned beef roasts.
This Sunday — St. Patrick’s Day — he’ll prepare 80.
And who knows if that’ll be enough.
“This is completely out of hand,” Stough said. “It’s just turned into a real happening.”
And not just at the Shamrock.
At bars across Wichita, the holiday has become a party to rival or surpass New Year’s Eve and Halloween.
This year, because St. Patrick’s Day falls on Sunday, some establishments are spreading the revelry over two days. Here’s a look at what’s happening at some area watering holes:• The Artichoke, 811 N. Broadway, 1 to 10 p.m. Saturday. An outdoor tent will be set up for live Irish and acoustic music, dancing and contests. $10 for adults, $15 for couples, kids 16 and under free.
• Brickyard, 129 N. Rock Island. Brunch will be served from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Saturday. Music by Raging Sea, Get Bad, Highland Bagpipes and Lawless starting at 2 p.m.
• Emerson Biggins (west location), 2330 N. Maize Road. Irish food and drink specials, music by bagpipers Saturday and Sunday.
• Heroes, 117 N. Mosley. Corned beef and cabbage Friday through Sunday, bagpipers at 8 p.m. Saturday and 5 p.m. Sunday. The bar also will have $3 green beer and Guinness specials all weekend.
• Jon’s Ale House, 917 E. Douglas. Drink specials, corned beef and cabbage and music by bagpipers Saturday and Sunday.
• Larry Bud’s Sports Bar, 2120 N. Woodlawn, Suite 300, and 6200 W. 21st St.: In addition to kegs of green beer, Larry Bud’s will serve corned beef and cabbage Sunday with appearances by bagpipers scheduled for 3 and 7 p.m. at the east-side restaurant. The west side also will have corned beef and cabbage, plus bagpipers at 5 p.m.
• Port of Wichita, 1548 S. Webb. Live music starts at 1 p.m. Sunday featuring Uche, Nick McEwen, Pullman Standard, The Banned and The Substitutes. Irish drink specials and corned beef and cabbage available. $4 cover.
• Pumphouse, 825 E. Second St.: The bar’s second annual Kegs and Eggs starts at 9 a.m. Saturday with an all-you-can-eat breakfast buffet, offered until 11 a.m.. It’s $5. The bar also will serve green beer all day and will feature the band Whisky Militia at 2 p.m. On Sunday, the Pumphouse will serve corned beef and cabbage from 11 a.m. to 2 a.m.
• S hamrock Lounge, 1724 W. Douglas: Saturday activities include a 9 a.m. Irish breakfast, Irish and beef stew for lunch, bagpipers at 4 and 8 p.m. and green beer and other drink specials through the day. On Sunday, the bar will open at 11 a.m. with a corned beef and cabbage dinner, which will be served again at 6 p.m. Plus, there will be bagpipers throughout the day (noon, 4, 6 and 8 p.m.), the Knockasheega Celtic Band at 1 p.m. and a 10:30 p.m. performance by The Sluggos. See the Shamrock’s Facebook page for a complete schedule.
Contributing: Denise Neil of The Eagle
Join the Discussion
The Wichita Eagle is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.