Cars and stars for a father-friendly weekend
06/17/2011 12:00 AM
06/17/2011 12:17 PM
If you're looking for ways to entertain dear old Dad during Father's Day weekend, we have a few father-friendly ideas for you.
* Coin and Stamp Show: The Annual Kansas Numismatic Association Coin & Stamp Show this weekend will include collectors and dealers who can help visitors figure out if their old coins are valuable. The 28th annual show is scheduled for 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Saturday and 8 a.m. to 3 p.m. Sunday at the Cessna Activity Center, 2744 George Washington Blvd. For more information, visit www. kansasnumismaticassociation.org.
* Kansas Aviation Museum Bike Show: The event will feature custom, historic and late-model motorcycles displayed with a B-52, KC-135, Boeing 727, 737 and B-47, along with live music. Hours are 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Saturday at the Kansas Aviation Museum, 3350 George Washington Blvd. Admission is $6, free for children 3 and under. For more information, call 316-683-9242 or visit www.kansasaviationmuseum.org.
* Lake Afton Public Observatory: The venue is offering a Father's Day weekend special from 9 to 11 p.m. today and Saturday. Dads and grandpas get free admission to the program "Thirty Years of Astronomy — the Dark Sky" when accompanied by a paying child. It's at 25313 W. 39th St. South in Goddard.
* Tanganyika Wildlife Park, 1000 S. Hawkins Lane, Goddard: Dads will be admitted free to the park all day Sunday. Hours are 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
* Father's Day Car Show at Sedgwick County Zoo , 5555 Zoo Blvd. View the zoo's animals — or classic and antique cars and vintage hot rods. Dads are admitted free when accompanied by a paying child. Hours are 8:30 a.m. to 4 p.m. Sunday.
Join the Discussion
The Wichita Eagle is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.