For the 25th year, the Wichita Public Library is showing the short films nominated for Academy Awards. The three categories of films are animation, live action and documentary, with five films in each category.
Here's what you need to know:
1) All of the nominated films will be screened beginning at 10 a.m. Saturday at the Orpheum Theatre, 200 N. Broadway. Admission is free. A week from Saturday, on March 5, the films will be shown again at the Warren Old Town Theatre, 353 N. Mead. That's also free.
2) The films range in length from as short as 6 minutes to as long as 40 minutes. Most are not rated, and some may not be suitable for all audiences. Brief descriptions of all of the films can be found at www.wichita.lib.ks.us. Click on "25th Annual Academy Award Shorts." Winners in all three categories will be announced when the Oscars are presented Sunday night.
3) Other screenings are as follows:
* Animation and live action categories, 1 p.m. Sunday at Alford Branch Library, 3447 S. Meridian
* Animation and live action categories, 5 p.m. Monday at Rockwell Branch Library, 5939 E. Ninth St.
* Animation and live action categories, 5 p.m. Tuesday at Westlink Branch Library, 8515 Bekemeyer
* Animation and live action categories, 5 p.m. Wednesday, Evergreen Branch Library, 2601 N. Arkansas
* Documentaries, 5 p.m. Thursday, Wichita Public Library, 223 S. Main