Like a dog fed too many Milkbones, Woofstock has grown and grown.
Woofstock, a fundraiser for the Kansas Humane Society, started 13 years ago as a 600-person event in Riverside Park. Today, it's a doggie extravaganza that draws more than 17,000 people and pets to Sedgwick County Park for contests, music, food, shopping and a variety of pooch pastimes.
Following is a list of 10 things you and your pet can do at this year's event, scheduled for 9:30 a.m. to 3 p.m. on Saturday.
1.o Woof, Walk and Wag: Pets and their people will gather at the stage at 9:30 a.m. to embark on a walk though a scenic 1.5-mile path through the park.
2.o Ruff Races: Started last year, Ruff Races are a competition to find "the fastest four feet in Wichita." The contest races three dogs at a time through timed sprints, and trophies are giving to the fastest large, medium and small dogs. The races run from 9:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m.
3.o Paws & Play Kids Zone: The littlest dog owners will be entertained from 9:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. with bouncy toys, Pawtrait paintings, face painting and more.
4. Person-dog lookalike contest: Anyone ever say you look like your pug? Here's a chance to prove it — and win a prize for it. It's at 1:15 p.m.
5. Water retrieval: If Fido takes to water well, he can show off his swimming skills at the popular water retrieval area. KHS staff will offer instructions on teaching non-swimming dogs how it's done.
6. Pet Pictures with Jaime: The Eagle's Jaime Green will be back at Woofstock this year, taking professional portraits of pets and their owners.
7. Pet psychic: Ever wonder what your pet is thinking? No? Well, it'll still be fun to visit Pet Psychic Liz Fisher, who says she also can tell you what your dog was doing before he met you. Psychic visits will cost extra.
8. Shopping: Woofstock will have more than 100 pet-friendly vendors, selling everything from treats to toys to sweaters, and a silent auction from 9:30 a.m. to 2 p.m. will feature more than $30,000 worth of items.
9.o Food and music: Pet owners can take a snack break at the Woofstock food court and relax to the sounds of returning band Rockin' Horse, which will play from 11:30 to 3 p.m.
10. Dog adoptions: Dogs in search of new families also will be at the event. The KHS staff is participating in a contest against other shelters to adopt out 300 more animals during August, September and October than over the same three-month period in 2009. The shelter with the most adoptions in the contest will get a $100,000 grant.
If you go
What: 13th annual fundraiser for the Kansas Humane Society
Where: Sedgwick County Park, 6300 W. 13th St.
When: 9:30 a.m. to 3 p.m. Saturday
How much: Admission is a suggested donation of $5; a $25 registration includes a T-shirt and prize pack.
For more information, go online to www.kshumane.org or call 316-524-9196. Also, look for a special Woofstock section inside today's Eagle.