Come summertime in Wichita, you can't go many days in a row without finding an outdoor concert to attend. At Bradley Fair shopping center, the plaza is packed with lawn chairs on Thursday nights for concerts that feature everything from popular local groups to acclaimed national acts. The series, which marks its 11th anniversary this year, ends the season each summer with a big fireworks show.
Just as popular is the Sedgwick County Zoo concert series, which draws bands from all over the country playing music ranging from zydeco to alternative rock to the blues.
The KEYN/Capitol Federal summer concert series in Old Town is back, with classic and pop rock bands making your TGIF a little more raucous.
This year, both Winfield and Lake Afton will be the sites of outdoor music festivals.
For something a little more mellow and scenic, check out the Tuesday night concerts at Botanica, the Wichita Gardens.
You'll find our guide to some of Wichita's most popular summer concert series on Page 2C.
Sedgwick County Zoo summer concert series
This series, presented by Capitol Federal, takes place at 7:30 p.m. Thursdays at the Sedgwick County Zoo, 5555 Zoo Blvd. Gates open at 6:30 p.m.
Take your own chairs and a picnic dinner, if you'd like. Food and drink also will be sold. No alcoholic beverages may be brought in.
Advance tickets are $12 for adults and $6 for children ages 3 to 11, for both zoo members and nonmembers. Advance tickets can be purchased at the zoo entrance or by phone at 316-266-8276.
Tickets purchased the evening of the concerts are $15 for adults and $8 for kids, with discounts available for members.
Season tickets are $75, $60 for zoo members. For more information, visit www.scz.org.
Here is this year's lineup:
* June 10 — New Riders of the Purple Sage (country rock)
* June 24 — The Subdudes (blend of blues, gospel, funk and R&B)
* July 8 — Honey Island Swamp Band (blues, soul and rock)
* July 22 — Chubby Carrier and the Bayou Swamp Band (zydeco)
* Aug. 5 — Better Than Ezra (alternative rock trio)
KEYN summer concert series
These classic rock concerts, presented by KEYN-FM, 103.7, and Capitol Federal, will be at 8 p.m. Fridays on the Farm & Art Market Plaza, First at Mosley in Old Town. Bring lawn chairs; no alcohol.
Admission is free. For more information, call 316-685-2121.
* July 9 — King Midas
* July 16 — Crazy Heart
* July 23 — Annie Up
* July 30 — Big Fat Fun
* Aug. 6 — Rain
* Aug. 13 - 3 Ring Circus
Bradley Fair concerts
Concerts will be at 7:30 p.m. Thursdays at the plaza at Bradley Fair shopping center, Rock Road at 21st Street. The final concert, on July 1, will be followed by a fireworks show.
Admission is free. For more information, visit www.bradleyfair.com or call 316-630-9990.
* June 3 — Friends University Jazz Ensemble with guest vocalist Rob Simon
* June 10 — Mindi Abair (soul and pop meets jazz)
* June 17 — Erin Bode Group (jazz vocalist)
* June 24 — Joseph Vincelli (smooth jazz sax)
* July 1 — Mingo Fishtrap (eight-piece jazz ensemble)
Botanica's Tuesdays on the Terrace
Head over to the gardens after work for cocktails (or nonalcoholic beverages) and live music each Tuesday evening. These outdoor concerts are from 5:30 to 7:30 p.m. at Botanica, 701 Amidon. The gardens will be open.
The schedule has been set for the next three weeks and more details on the rest of the summer will be released later.
Admission is free for members, or regular gate charge of $7 for nonmembers. For more information, call 316-264-0448 or visit botanica.org.
* Tuesday, June 1 — Martinis and music by Amanda Lind.
* June 8 — Cuba Libres and music by The Flatland String Band.
* June 15 — Blue Moon beer and music by RKO Blues.
Winfield Country Roundup
July 15-17, Cowley County Fairgrounds. Lineup includes Dierks Bentley, Chris Cagle, Locash Cowboys, Billy Currington, and more. Three-day pass $85. For more information, call 620-221-2112 or go to www.winfieldcountryroundup.com.
July 22-24 at Lake Afton, featuring Styx, Twisted Sister, Buckcherry and Drowning Pool. Three-day pass $85; Friday or Saturday admission, $45; Thursday admission $25. For more information, call 877-442-3301 or go to www.midwestrockfest.com.
Wellington Summer Concert Series
* June 5 — Rachelle Coba (2009 Wichita Blues Society Challenge winner)
* July 3 — MudBugs (Cajun/zydeco; placed second in the Prairie Home Companion band contest this spring)
* July 31 — Back Roads (blues/classic rock)
Concerts at Wellington Golf Course. Food available for purchase. Admission $4 in advance, $5 day of show. Call 620-326-7451, Ext. 299, for more information.