Log Out | Member Center

84°F

103°/74°

Universal distances itself from 'Compton' casting

  • AP Entertainment Writer
  • Published Thursday, July 17, 2014, at 8:28 p.m.
  • Updated Friday, July 18, 2014, at 8:22 a.m.

Photos

— Universal Pictures and the filmmakers behind the planned N.W.A. biopic are distancing themselves from an offensive casting announcement for the film.

The company said in a statement late Thursday that "the filmmakers ... did not approve and do not condone the information in this casting notice. We regret and sincerely apologize for being in any way associated with the offensive descriptions it contained."

Sande Alessi Casting posted an open call earlier this week that sought women in four categories. "A girls" were described as "the hottest of the hottest" and could be of any ethnicity. "B girls" were to be "light-skinned," whereas "D girls" were "African-American... Poor, not in good shape. Medium to dark skin tone."

Gawker.com quoted the casting call in an article Thursday. The casting company has since removed the announcement from its Facebook page.

A woman who answered the phone at Sande Alessi Casting on Thursday declined comment and would not identify herself.

Universal has not said if it is still working with the casting company. The Sande Alessi Casting website shows it is still inviting African-American men and women to audition as extras for "Straight Outta Compton" at an open call later this month.

Follow AP Entertainment Writer Sandy Cohen at www.twitter.com/APSandy .

Subscribe to our newsletters

The Wichita Eagle welcomes your comments on news of the day. The more voices engaged in conversation, the better for us all, but do keep it civil. Please refrain from profanity, obscenity, spam, name-calling or attacking others for their views. Please see our commenting policy for more information.

Have a news tip? You can send it to wenews@wichitaeagle.com.

Search for a job

in

Top jobs