Log Out | Member Center

80°F

102°/75°

Fire forces evacuation of southwest Michigan hotel

  • The Associated Press
  • Published Sunday, July 13, 2014, at 11:19 a.m.

— Authorities in southwestern Michigan say an electrical fire broke out at a hotel, injuring two women and forcing dozens of visitors to evacuate their rooms.

The Berrien County sheriff's department says the fire was reported about 8:40 a.m. Sunday at O'Brien Inn & Resort. It's in New Buffalo Township, south of New Buffalo and 1 ½ miles north of the Indiana state line.

The sheriff's department says the hotel clerk saw smoke coming from under the door of a vacant room. It says deputies and the clerk warned all 37 occupants, and they made it out safely.

A sheriff's department statement says paramedics treated women ages 74 and 53 for smoke inhalation.

The department says the fire apparently started when a TV overheated. There's no immediate damage estimate.

Subscribe to our newsletters

The Wichita Eagle welcomes your comments on news of the day. The more voices engaged in conversation, the better for us all, but do keep it civil. Please refrain from profanity, obscenity, spam, name-calling or attacking others for their views. Please see our commenting policy for more information.

Have a news tip? You can send it to wenews@wichitaeagle.com.

Search for a job

in

Top jobs