Log Out | Member Center

81°F

84°/60°

Man, 73, hurt in house fire near Lincoln and Hillside

  • The Wichita Eagle
  • Published Wednesday, July 9, 2014, at 8:08 a.m.

A man was injured in a house fire in southeast Wichita Tuesday night, authorities said.

The 73-year-old man was taken to the burn unit at Via Christi Hospital St. Francis for treatment of smoke inhalation, fire Capt. Stuart Bevis said. The man was able to get out of the house at the time the fire broke out in the kitchen of the house at 721 S. Lorraine, which is northwest of Lincoln and Hillside.

He was at a neighbor’s house when fire crews arrived at about 8:40 p.m., Bevis said. Firefighters found a fire in the kitchen and were able to “make quick work” of the blaze, Bevis said in an e-mail response to questions.

They were able to contain the blaze in the kitchen of the small, two-bedroom house that records indicate was built in 1936. Damage was estimated at $30,000.

An investigation revealed the fire was ignited by discarded smoking materials, Bevis said. The man’s injuries are minor.

Damage to the house is significant enough that the Red Cross was alerted to provide assistance to the victim, Bevis said.

and was at

Reach Stan Finger at 316-268-6437 or sfinger@wichitaeagle.com. Follow him on Twitter: @StanFinger.

Subscribe to our newsletters

The Wichita Eagle welcomes your comments on news of the day. The more voices engaged in conversation, the better for us all, but do keep it civil. Please refrain from profanity, obscenity, spam, name-calling or attacking others for their views. Please see our commenting policy for more information.

Have a news tip? You can send it to wenews@wichitaeagle.com.

Search for a job

in

Top jobs