Log Out | Member Center

73°F

92°/64°

Fire damages empty downtown apartment building

  • The Wichita Eagle
  • Published Friday, June 6, 2014, at 8:12 a.m.

Fire damaged an empty apartment building in downtown Wichita early Friday morning, authorities said.

The fire was reported just before 5 a.m. at Market and Lewis, a Sedgwick County dispatcher said. Witnesses told fire crews who arrived at the 84-year-old apartment building at 507 S. Market that a homeless man had been frequenting the unlocked structure, Wichita fire investigator Donnie Eckerman said.

That person likely started the fire accidentally, Eckerman said, with perhaps a candle or cigarettes. The fire caused just $500 to the interior of the old brick building, he said.

Reach Stan Finger at 316-268-6437 or sfinger@wichitaeagle.com. Follow him on Twitter: @StanFinger.

Subscribe to our newsletters

The Wichita Eagle welcomes your comments on news of the day. The more voices engaged in conversation, the better for us all, but do keep it civil. Please refrain from profanity, obscenity, spam, name-calling or attacking others for their views. Please see our commenting policy for more information.

Have a news tip? You can send it to wenews@wichitaeagle.com.

Search for a job

in

Top jobs