Log Out | Member Center

60°F

83°/60°

Candles cited as cause of fire at house on North Cleveland

  • The Wichita Eagle
  • Published Monday, May 19, 2014, at 9:36 a.m.
  • Updated Tuesday, May 20, 2014, at 6:38 a.m.

Photos

Unattended burning candles were cited as the accidental cause of Monday morning’s fire at a house owned by an addiction recovery program, officials said.

The fire at 530 N. Cleveland – near Central and east of Washington – was reported at 8:20 a.m. The fire was brought under control within a few minutes after crews arrived, Lt. Kelly Zane of the Wichita Fire Department said.

“There were unattended candles at the point of origin” of the fire, he said. “We’ll probably never know the actual sequence of events.”

The estimated fire damage was $31,000, he said.

No one lives in the house, Zane said, and no one was there when firefighters arrived. But it was evident that someone had been inside, he added.

“People were there who weren’t supposed to be there,” Zane said. “One of the back windows wasn’t secure.”

The 912-square-foot house is owned by Agape Awareness Inc. according to Sedgwick County records. The organization deals with with addiction recovery.

“They have meetings there,” Zane said, “but they haven’t had a meeting there in quite some time.”

Reach Rick Plumlee at 316-268-6660 or rplumlee@wichitaeagle.com. Follow him on Twitter: @rickplumlee.

Subscribe to our newsletters

The Wichita Eagle welcomes your comments on news of the day. The more voices engaged in conversation, the better for us all, but do keep it civil. Please refrain from profanity, obscenity, spam, name-calling or attacking others for their views. Please see our commenting policy for more information.

Have a news tip? You can send it to wenews@wichitaeagle.com.

Search for a job

in

Top jobs