Log Out | Member Center

75°F

97°/71°

Official: Discarded cigarette starts house fire on West Maple

  • The Wichita Eagle
  • Published Monday, May 5, 2014, at 5:59 p.m.
  • Updated Monday, May 5, 2014, at 6:38 p.m.

Photos

Discarded cigarette sparks house fire

A passer-by called 911 and alerted a man with a child inside a home where a fire had started at 2920 W. Maple Monday afternoon. (Video by Fernando Salazar)

A cigarette discarded into dry grass Monday afternoon led to $10,000 damage to a house on West Maple, a Wichita fire official said.

A passer-by saw the fire about 2 p.m. and alerted a man and his toddler-age grandson to get out of the house, Lt. Joe Evans said. The house is in the 2900 block of West Maple, which is west of Meridian.

There were no injuries.

The cause of the fire was a cigarette that was tossed in the grass, igniting a blaze that spread to a wooden privacy fence, carport, metal shed, a detached garage and the house, Evans said. Fire damage was limited to the exterior of the structures, he added.

“People need to be very careful about throwing cigarettes out of car windows,” Evans said. “It’s very dry. We’ve been pretty busy with grass fires.”

Reach Rick Plumlee at 316-268-6660 or rplumlee@wichitaeagle.com. Follow him on Twitter: @rickplumlee.

Subscribe to our newsletters

The Wichita Eagle welcomes your comments on news of the day. The more voices engaged in conversation, the better for us all, but do keep it civil. Please refrain from profanity, obscenity, spam, name-calling or attacking others for their views. Please see our commenting policy for more information.

Have a news tip? You can send it to wenews@wichitaeagle.com.

Search for a job

in

Top jobs