Log Out | Member Center

64°F

71°/59°

Man hurt in apartment fire on East Lincoln dies

  • The Wichita Eagle
  • Published Monday, March 24, 2014, at 2:15 p.m.
  • Updated Monday, March 24, 2014, at 2:17 p.m.

A man critically injured in an apartment fire in southeast Wichita last week has died, authorities confirmed on Monday.

Wichita fire Capt. Stuart Bevis confirmed the 42-year-old man died Friday from injuries sustained earlier in the day in the fire at Eagle Creek Apartments, 9550 E. Lincoln. He was identified in a police document as Brian S. Jones.

A search-and-rescue team found him in the bedroom of his apartment, fire officials have said. He was not breathing when he was found, but was revived while being taken to the burn unit at Via Christi Hospital St. Francis.

The fire, which started in a recliner in living room, caused an estimated $15,000 in damage to the building, officials said. The fire is being blamed on careless smoking.

Jones is the second person to die in a fire this year in Wichita, Bevis said. Both were due to careless smoking.

Reach Stan Finger at 316-268-6437 or sfinger@wichitaeagle.com. Follow him on Twitter: @StanFinger.

Subscribe to our newsletters

The Wichita Eagle welcomes your comments on news of the day. The more voices engaged in conversation, the better for us all, but do keep it civil. Please refrain from profanity, obscenity, spam, name-calling or attacking others for their views. Please see our commenting policy for more information.

Have a news tip? You can send it to wenews@wichitaeagle.com.

Search for a job

in

Top jobs