Log Out | Member Center

87°F

86°/64°

Police: Boy, 5, burned while playing with cigarette lighter

  • The Wichita Eagle
  • Published Monday, March 24, 2014, at 12:45 p.m.

A woman awoke Sunday morning to find her 5-year-old son’s arm on fire, authorities said.

She extinguished the flames in their south Wichita apartment shortly after 10 a.m. Sunday and took him to a nearby fire station, police Lt. Dan East said. They were then taken to the burn unit of Via Christi Hospital, where they were treated and released.

An investigation revealed the boy was playing with a cigarette lighter, which led to the fire at the apartment in the 900 block of West 29th Street South, a police document stated.

Reach Stan Finger at 316-268-6437 or sfinger@wichitaeagle.com. Follow him on Twitter: @StanFinger.

Subscribe to our newsletters

The Wichita Eagle welcomes your comments on news of the day. The more voices engaged in conversation, the better for us all, but do keep it civil. Please refrain from profanity, obscenity, spam, name-calling or attacking others for their views. Please see our commenting policy for more information.

Have a news tip? You can send it to wenews@wichitaeagle.com.

Search for a job

in

Top jobs