Log Out | Member Center

68°F

71°/59°

Man critically injured in southeast Wichita apartment fire

  • The Wichita Eagle
  • Published Friday, March 21, 2014, at 8:05 a.m.
  • Updated Monday, March 24, 2014, at 2:17 p.m.

A 42-year-old man was critically injured in an apartment fire in southeast Wichita early Friday morning, authorities said.

The fire was reported at 1:24 a.m. at Eagle Creek Apartments at 9550 E. Lincoln, a Sedgwick County dispatch supervisor said. That’s next to Webb Road and just south of the Kansas Turnpike.

Firefighters arriving on the scene found smoke and fire, the supervisor said. A search and rescue team found the man in a bedroom in Apartment 505, Lt. Kelly Zane said. He was not breathing as medics began treating him.

He was revived on the way to the burn unit at Via Christi Hospital St. Francis, the supervisor said, but he suffered smoke inhalation and burns to his upper shoulders.

The fire, which started in a recliner in living room, caused an estimated $15,000 in damage to the building, Zane said. The fire is being blamed on careless smoking.

Reach Stan Finger at 316-268-6437 or sfinger@wichitaeagle.com. Follow him on Twitter: @StanFinger.

Subscribe to our newsletters

The Wichita Eagle welcomes your comments on news of the day. The more voices engaged in conversation, the better for us all, but do keep it civil. Please refrain from profanity, obscenity, spam, name-calling or attacking others for their views. Please see our commenting policy for more information.

Have a news tip? You can send it to wenews@wichitaeagle.com.

Search for a job

in

Top jobs