Log Out | Member Center

86°F

87°/65°

Smoke in boys’ bathroom prompts evacuation of Mead Middle School

  • The Wichita Eagle
  • Published Thursday, March 13, 2014, at 1:31 p.m.

Smoke in the boys’ bathroom led to the evacuation of Mead Middle School on Thursday morning, authorities said.

No fire was seen by crews responding to the school at 2601 E. Skinner shortly before 11 a.m., a Sedgwick County dispatch supervisor said, but there was smoke in a boys’ bathroom. Crews needed an extended period clearing smoke from the building, forcing students and staff to remain outside.

Class was then dismissed at 12:30 p.m. for parent-teacher conferences, district spokeswoman Susan Arensman said.

“The fire had nothing to do with the early dismissal,” Arensman said in an e-mail response to questions.

The parent-teacher conferences will go on as scheduled Thursday afternoon.

Reach Stan Finger at 316-268-6437 or sfinger@wichitaeagle.com. Follow him on Twitter: @StanFinger.

Subscribe to our newsletters

The Wichita Eagle welcomes your comments on news of the day. The more voices engaged in conversation, the better for us all, but do keep it civil. Please refrain from profanity, obscenity, spam, name-calling or attacking others for their views. Please see our commenting policy for more information.

Have a news tip? You can send it to wenews@wichitaeagle.com.

Search for a job

in

Top jobs