Log Out | Member Center

65°F

86°/63°

Woman hurt in house fire on Santa Fe expected to recover

  • The Wichita Eagle
  • Published Friday, Feb. 28, 2014, at 8:12 a.m.
  • Updated Friday, Feb. 28, 2014, at 5:58 p.m.

A woman seriously hurt in a house fire in southeast Wichita on Thursday night is expected to recover, authorities said Friday.

The woman was pulled out of the burning home by firefighters called to 1919 S. Santa Fe at 6:15 p.m., Wichita Fire Department investigator Chris Dugan said.

She suffered smoke inhalation and possibly burns in what’s being labeled a cooking fire, Dugan said. She was taken to the burn unit of Via Christi Hospital St. Francis on Thursday night, a Sedgwick County dispatcher said.

Authorities said Thursday that the woman was in her 30s.

“She’s doing better,” Dugan said Friday. “She’s expected to recover.”

Dugan said the fire, which has been ruled accidental, ignited in the kitchen of the home, northeast of Broadway and Mount Vernon. The loss was estimated at $110,000, including $80,000 in structual damage and $30,000 to the home’s contents, he said.

Reach Stan Finger at 316-268-6437 or sfinger@wichitaeagle.com. Follow him on Twitter: @StanFinger.

Subscribe to our newsletters

The Wichita Eagle welcomes your comments on news of the day. The more voices engaged in conversation, the better for us all, but do keep it civil. Please refrain from profanity, obscenity, spam, name-calling or attacking others for their views. Please see our commenting policy for more information.

Have a news tip? You can send it to wenews@wichitaeagle.com.

Search for a job

in

Top jobs