Log Out | Member Center



Derby man charged with impersonating sheriff’s deputy

  • The Wichita Eagle
  • Published Friday, Jan. 17, 2014, at 9:04 p.m.


A Derby man accused of impersonating a law enforcement officer this week is facing criminal charges.

Joseph W. Reed, 35, appeared in Sedgwick County District Court on Friday on allegations he identified himself Wednesday as a sheriff’s deputy named Reed, knowing “that such representation was false.”

He has been charged with one misdemeanor count of false impersonation, felony fleeing or attempting to elude law enforcement and two counts of aggravated assault in connection with case.

In the assault charges, prosecutors allege Reed used a gun and a 2009 Dodge Ram to place another man in harm’s way Jan. 15. Both are felonies.

The Sedgwick County Sheriff’s Office released this account of Reed’s crimes Wednesday, prior to his charging:

A man driving a black Dodge pickup with a siren and red-and-blue lights clipped to its visor stopped a security guard during the early morning of Jan. 15. The man told the guard he was a sheriff’s deputy. Both men got out of their vehicles and asked the other for identification.

Within minutes, the security guard became suspicious and drove away. The imposter pursued, chasing the security guard south on Rock Road with the truck’s lights and siren on.

When Sedgwick County sheriff’s deputies caught up to the man on Rock and attempted a traffic stop, he flipped off the visor lights and siren and sped south at 110 mph. Authorities lost sight of the man at MacArthur Road after he turned off the headlights.

The man later called 911 and told a dispatcher someone stole his truck and that he was lost in a field. Deputies found him near 47th Street South and Greenwich and arrested him on suspicion of impersonation, flee and elude, and driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol.

Sedgwick County District Court Judge Joe Kisner on Friday set Reed’s bond at $75,000. He was originally held on $25,000 bond.

Asked by Reed why his bond tripled, Kisner said, “Because I reviewed the probable cause affidavit and increased it.”

Reed is due back in court Jan. 30 for a preliminary hearing. He remained in custody Friday evening.

Reach Amy Renee Leiker at 316-268-6644 or aleiker@wichitaeagle.com. Follow her on Twitter: @amyreneeleiker.

Subscribe to our newsletters

The Wichita Eagle welcomes your comments on news of the day. The more voices engaged in conversation, the better for us all, but do keep it civil. Please refrain from profanity, obscenity, spam, name-calling or attacking others for their views. Please see our commenting policy for more information.

Have a news tip? You can send it to wenews@wichitaeagle.com.

Search for a job


Top jobs