Log Out | Member Center



Police: Woman hurt in house fire had set mattress ablaze

  • The Wichita Eagle
  • Published Thursday, Jan. 16, 2014, at 8 a.m.
  • Updated Thursday, Jan. 16, 2014, at 1:58 p.m.

A woman was seriously hurt in a house fire early Thursday morning, authorities said.

The fire was reported at 1 a.m. at 1146 N. Green, a Sedgwick County dispatcher said. That’s southwest of 13th and Hillside.

Fire crews arrived to find smoke and flames from a bedroom window and a man outside, fire Capt. Stuart Bevis said in an e-mail response to questions.

Firefighters quickly contained the fire and found a woman in the bathroom next to the bedroom, he said. She was conscious, “with some burns to her arms,” Bevis said.

An investigation revealed the 54-year-old woman set the mattress on fire in a bedroom, police Lt. Doug Nolte said, adding that it appeared to be intentional. Her motive, however, remained unclear.

The woman was taken to the burn unit at Via Christi Hospital St. Francis in critical condition. She is now in fair condition, said a hospital spokeswoman. The 51-year-old man who also lives there did not require hospitalization.

Damage was estimated at $30,000, Bevis said. Records show the small, two-bedroom house was built in 1940.

Reach Stan Finger at 316-268-6437 or sfinger@wichitaeagle.com. Follow him on Twitter: @StanFinger.

Subscribe to our newsletters

The Wichita Eagle welcomes your comments on news of the day. The more voices engaged in conversation, the better for us all, but do keep it civil. Please refrain from profanity, obscenity, spam, name-calling or attacking others for their views. Please see our commenting policy for more information.

Have a news tip? You can send it to wenews@wichitaeagle.com.

Search for a job


Top jobs