• Key play: After KU climbed within 24-21, Naadir Tharpe fouled San Diego States Aqee Quinn on a three-point attempt. He made all three free throws.
• Key stat: KU hit just six of 29 from the floor.
• Key play: After KU cut San Diego States lead to 57-55 with 1:21 left, freshman center Joel Embiid had a turnover in transition when it looked as if the Jayhawks might have a chance to tie.
• Key stat: San Diego State had 19 offensive rebounds.
Tharpe plays hurt
Kansas coach Bill Self revealed that Tharpe played on an injured ankle Sunday. According to Self, Tharpe turned his ankle on Wednesday and missed practice the rest of the week.
Tharpe had just five points while hitting two of 10 shots from the floor and one of five from three-point range.
I was proud of Naadir, Self said. Statistically speaking, he didnt have a great game he hadnt practiced or done anything besides treatment six times a day.
Still, Self said Tharpe took a couple of ill-advised shots as KU attempted to complete an 11-point comeback in the second half.
Its a learning process, and certainly one that Im disappointed in for sure, Self said. But hopefully if were in this situation again, we act a little bit better.
• Self said sophomore forward Perry Ellis, who was just one for eight, may have been fighting some sort of illness. Still, Self went to Ellis when the Jayhawks needed a bucket late. Ellis was fouled and made one of two free throws with a chance to tie the game.
He did labor, Self said, but I thought at the end of the game, hed be the best guy to drive (against) a big.
• In his 11th season at Kansas, Self has now lost just nine games inside Allen Fieldhouse. Remarkably, none of his non-conference home losses (Richmond, Nevada, Oral Roberts, San Diego State) have come against BCS opponents.
To come in here and give Bill Self his ninth home loss, San Diego State coach Steve Fisher said, thats pretty neat to be able to do that.
• Self dropped to 49-28 against ranked teams at Kansas and 166-9 at Allen Fieldhouse.