Log Out | Member Center



New Year’s Day shootings lead to arrests in unrelated cases

  • The Wichita Eagle
  • Published Thursday, Jan. 2, 2014, at 2:05 p.m.
  • Updated Thursday, Jan. 2, 2014, at 4:49 p.m.


No arrests have been made directly related to the rash of shootings that occurred during a short period of time early New Year’s Day in Wichita, police said Thursday.

Two men, however, were arrested on other charges after police responded to the shootings, Lt. Doug Nolte said.

A 20-year-old man was arrested at 1:30 a.m. near 17th and Estelle on suspicion of several charges, including criminal possession of a firearm and for an outstanding traffic warrant.

Less than 10 minutes after his arrest, police said five shots were fired at them from near 16th and Estelle, which is just east of Hillside. No one was injured. Police found shell casings but didn’t find any suspects after searching the area for about two hours.

Police had originally been called to 17th and Estelle on a report of shots being fired. After they arrived, they saw the 20-year-old man getting out of a car near the area and found the gun, Nolte said.

It’s not known whether he was involved in firing the original shots, Nolte said. But he had nothing to do with shooting at the police because he was arrested before that incident happened, Nolte added.

The man is being held in the Sedgwick Count Jail on a $2,500 bond.

In another shooting shortly before 2 a.m., police were called to the scene of a drive-by in the 2200 block of North Minnesota.

A 17-year-old was shot in the leg while he was standing outside a house where a party was being held. Three shots also hit an occupied house next door, but no one was injured, Nolte said. The teenager was treated and released at the hospital.

While police have no suspects in the drive-by, they did arrest a 23-year-old man who also was at the party and was wanted on an outstanding warrant for aggravated assault, Nolte said.

That case stems from an argument that erupted after someone threw trash out of a car on Sept. 11 on East Kellogg and the 23-year-old fired shots, Nolte said. The 23-year-old is in the jail on a $30,000 bond.

A third report of shots fired early New Year’s Day also hasn’t turned up any suspects or arrests, Nolte said. A 50-year-old man reported that someone fired six shots about 1:15 a.m. in a parking lot at 12th and Hillside, according to police and police documents.

Police found three drops of blood, but no other signs of a shooting, the document said.

Reach Rick Plumlee at 316-268-6660 or rplumlee@wichitaeagle.com. Follow him on Twitter: @rickplumlee.

Subscribe to our newsletters

The Wichita Eagle welcomes your comments on news of the day. The more voices engaged in conversation, the better for us all, but do keep it civil. Please refrain from profanity, obscenity, spam, name-calling or attacking others for their views. Please see our commenting policy for more information.

Have a news tip? You can send it to wenews@wichitaeagle.com.

Search for a job


Top jobs