Historic districts in Wichita and Johnson County, as well as two culverts in Gove County, are the newest Kansas properties recently added to the National Register of Historic Places.
The nominations were originally made last summer by the Historic Sites Board of Review. The sites were placed on the National Register earlier this month.
The Wichita listing – Linwood Place Historic District – is 40 acres in south Wichita near the aircraft-related industrial area. It includes 90 fourplex buildings, a maintenance shop and several other buildings. It was originally developed and built by Ray Garvey and his son, Willard, of Builders Inc.
The Westwood Hills Historic District in Johnson County was listed as an entire city. It was originally platted in 1923 by J.C. Nichols Co. and incorporated as a city in 1949. The buildings reflect the history of the neighborhood as it evolved from pasture to a residential subdivision.
Both districts were nominated for contributions to local significance in community planning, architecture and commerce.
The Jenkins and Benson Culverts southwest of Gove are actually double- and triple-arch limestone bridges built in 1938 as Works Progress Administration projects. Both were nominated as part of the New Deal-era Resources of Kansas and Masonry Arch Bridges of Kansas.
Currently, Kansas has 1,341 buildings listed on the National Register of Historic Places, the nation’s list of historically significant properties.
To be eligible for listing, buildings must meet certain criteria, including the building’s age, integrity and significance. Properties must be at least 50 years old to be considered. They can be eligible if they are associated with significant events or people.
While the historic designation can bring prestige to a property, it can also bring money – specifically tax credits for improvement. Owners of historically designated properties can receive up to 25 percent of their improvement investment back as state tax credit.