Two young children have been placed in protective custody by police after one was found to have ingested amphetamines, authorities said.
A 1-year-old boy was brought to Wesley Medical Center shortly before 12:30 a.m. Wednesday by parents who said he was “acting kind of strange...being more hyper than usual,” Lt. Doug Nolte said.
Doctors conducted tests and discovered amphetamines in his system. They then called police, Nolte said.
The boy and his 3-year-old sister have been placed in protective custody, he said. The Exploited and Missing Child Unit and the Department of Children and Families are investigating the case.
No arrests have been made at this point. While amphetamine is the key ingredient in meth, Nolte said, it’s also featured in numerous over-the-counter medications.
Nolte said he did not know how the child may have ingested the amphetamines.