Log Out | Member Center



State looks at security measures after incident at Wichita parole office

  • The Wichita Eagle
  • Published Tuesday, Dec. 10, 2013, at 12:59 p.m.
  • Updated Tuesday, Dec. 10, 2013, at 3:03 p.m.

Police respond to call of man on ledge in downtown Wichita

Police and other authorities tried to get a man down from a ledge by using a ladder Friday afternoon in downtown Wichita. Streets were closed while the man stayed on the ladder. Video by Denise Neil/The Wichita Eagle.

After a recent parolee jumped over a counter and broke out a window to get to a second-story ledge of the state parole office in Wichita, the Kansas Department of Corrections is working toward installing clear partitions at front counters of some its parole offices, an official said Tuesday.

The measure would prevent someone from jumping over a counter and would likely occur at the larger parole offices, including those in Wichita, Lawrence and the Kansas City area, said department spokesman Jeremy Barclay. The main priority, Barclay said, is staff safety.

How much of the partition cost the state might bear is not known because the state has yet to negotiate that with the landlords who rent out the properties, Barclay said.

On Friday afternoon, a man whose parole ended last month came into the parole office in the 200 block of South Market, apparently seeking help for a substance addiction, police said. He apparently got upset, vaulted over the counter and ended up on the ledge and then on a ladder raised up for him.

Police had the downtown street in front of the parole office blocked off for nearly two hours while they tried to negotiate with the man, who Barclay confirmed is Jose L. DeLeon, 39. DeLeon has an extensive criminal record, including convictions for criminal possession of a firearm and arson.

As the negotiations wore on in the frigid weather Friday, DeLeon fell to the sidewalk after stepping onto a canopy as officers struggled with him in an attempt to bring him in through a window. Police said he wasn’t seriously injured.

He was booked into jail on an allegation of criminal damage to property and is being held on a $25,000 bond.

Barclay said a state vehicle parked below the broken window sustained about $1,500 in damage when shattered glass fell onto it.

The damage amount for the broken window wasn’t available.

Reach Tim Potter at 316-268-6684 or tpotter@wichitaeagle.com.

Subscribe to our newsletters

The Wichita Eagle welcomes your comments on news of the day. The more voices engaged in conversation, the better for us all, but do keep it civil. Please refrain from profanity, obscenity, spam, name-calling or attacking others for their views. Please see our commenting policy for more information.

Have a news tip? You can send it to wenews@wichitaeagle.com.

Search for a job


Top jobs