Log Out | Member Center



Kansas State hands Mississippi its first loss

  • The Wichita Eagle
  • Published Thursday, Dec. 5, 2013, at 10:38 p.m.
  • Updated Friday, Dec. 6, 2013, at 7:29 a.m.


More information


Kansas State played in front of a large crowd for the first time on Thursday, and the 11,990 fans in attendance made a noticeable difference. The Wildcats fed off crowd noise in the second half, and K-State coach Bruce Weber thanked everyone who purchased a ticket. But Mississippi coach Andy Kennedy might have been more impressed than anyone. “We knew it was going to be a great environment,” he said. “This is my first time being here and I can’t say enough about the students here and how they get into it. You guys are a little spoiled. We don’t see that very often.”


Watching Thursday’s game had to be an interesting experience for Marvin Clark, a 6-foot-7 forward from Bel Aire who plays for Sunrise Christian Academy and the MoKan Elite AAU program. He watched the action from behind K-State’s bench and was technically on an unofficial visit to the school, but he is also considering Mississippi. Before the game, Clark said he will visit Ole Miss in late December and then make a decision between the Wildcats and Rebels. He also said Thursday’s game would have minimal impact on his commitment. He took an official visit to K-State before the season. He is considered a three-star recruit by Rivals.

— On one end of the court, Thomas Gipson fought his way to the rim and made a contested layup. On the other, he blocked back-to-back shots and helped his teammates score in transition.

The crowd at Bramlage Coliseum, easily the largest of the season, roared in approval.

That sequence didn’t go down as the decisive moment in Kansas State’s 61-58 victory over Mississippi on Thursday in the Big 12/SEC challenge, but it might have been the most important. Not only did it bring energy to an arena that has felt lifeless this year, it showed the Wildcats were willing to fight for every inch against an opponent that entered the game undefeated.

It didn’t matter that Ole Miss quickly rallied from a four-point deficit to take a 53-49 lead with 4 minutes, 15 seconds remaining in the second half. Or that flamboyant guard Marshall Henderson screamed obscenities at the student section when momentum was swinging the Rebels’ way.

K-State kept its poise and went on to land its first big victory of the season.

“We made some strides,” K-State coach Bruce Weber said. “I think we grew up tonight. We have talked a lot about gut checks, we have talked a lot about roles.… In the big picture you beat a very, very good team that is going to win a lot of games.”

The Wildcats (5-3) wildly celebrated when it was over, partially because the win will help ease the sting of three early losses but also because it came in wild fashion over the Rebels (6-1).

K-State held a 59-55 lead in the final minute, but Henderson hit a three-pointer to keep things interesting until the closing seconds. Will Spradling made one of two free throws on the following possession with 15.1 seconds remaining, and the Rebels had one last shot to tie or win the game.

They scrambled down court and Henderson launched another three, this time from well outside the line. He missed badly. K-State closed out the victory.

“This is very exciting,” said freshman guard Marcus Foster, who scored 15 points and hit a key three-pointer late. “We hurt ourselves with losses to Northern Colorado and Charlotte. Now we are on the big stage and showing all the guys who are involved with the NCAA Tournament that we can compete with and beat a very good team.”

Gipson, a junior forward who scored 15 points and grabbed six rebounds, led the charge.

He called for the ball down low, played tough defense, made all but one shot and became K-State’s go-to player. Weber has urged his starters to step up in clutch situations, and Gipson embraced the challenge.

“Thomas Gipson was the difference in the game,” Ole Miss coach Andy Kennedy said. “He was six for seven and every one of them were huge momentum swings.”

Gipson did most of his damage on the base line, sinking layup after layup with his left hand. Kennedy said his players knew what was coming. They simply couldn’t stop it.

“There were lots of times when I felt confident,” Gipson said. “Coach Weber wanted me to make plays down the stretch. The last seven minutes the ball was always going into me. But when they were helping on me Marcus made a shot and Marcus made a three. It all goes hand in hand. When I am doing my work inside people on the outside get to get open.”

K-State led 31-29 at halftime and held on in the second half.

But it wasn’t easy. Jarvis Summers led the way for Ole Miss by scoring 18 points, while Henderson managed 13.

Stopping Henderson was priority No. 1 for the Wildcats all night. Spradling and Foster took turns defending Henderson, and did a decent job against him. Most of his looks were low-percentage shots, though he made shots late to approach his average of 15.

The way K-State was fighting, that wasn’t enough.

“It’s a huge win for us, there is no doubt,” Weber said. “We didn’t play very well. I’m not sure we coached very well. But we toughed it out.… We could have given in, but we didn’t. We came right back and found a way to win.”

Reach Kellis Robinett at krobinett@wichitaeagle.com. Follow him on Twitter: @kellisrobinett.

Subscribe to our newsletters

The Wichita Eagle welcomes your comments on news of the day. The more voices engaged in conversation, the better for us all, but do keep it civil. Please refrain from profanity, obscenity, spam, name-calling or attacking others for their views. Please see our commenting policy for more information.

Have a news tip? You can send it to wenews@wichitaeagle.com.

Search for a job


Top jobs