Log Out | Member Center

71°F

72°/60°

Duplex on South Market damaged by fire

  • The Wichita Eagle
  • Published Thursday, Nov. 14, 2013, at 8:01 a.m.

Fire damaged a duplex in south Wichita late Wednesday night, authorities said.

The fire was reported shortly before 11 p.m. in the 1200 block of South Market, a Sedgwick County dispatch supervisor said. That’s near Lincoln.

It took firefighters about 20 minutes to extinguish the fire. No injuries were reported.

The fire caused an estimated $10,000 in damage, fire Capt. Stuart Bevis said Thursday. It started in attic space due to an electrical wiring malfunction, he said.

“It caused significant damage to structural members in the attic due to a long-smoldering fire,” Bevis said in an e-mail response to questions.

Reach Stan Finger at 316-268-6437 or sfinger@wichitaeagle.com. Follow him on Twitter: @StanFinger.

Subscribe to our newsletters

The Wichita Eagle welcomes your comments on news of the day. The more voices engaged in conversation, the better for us all, but do keep it civil. Please refrain from profanity, obscenity, spam, name-calling or attacking others for their views. Please see our commenting policy for more information.

Have a news tip? You can send it to wenews@wichitaeagle.com.

Search for a job

in

Top jobs