Log Out | Member Center

69°F

72°/59°

Burden man dies in house fire; 2 others escape

  • The Wichita Eagle
  • Published Monday, Nov. 4, 2013, at 6:51 a.m.

A Burden man died Sunday from smoke inhalation in a fire at his home in rural Cowley County.

Richard Schooley, 12267 U.S. 160, was pulled from the house alive but died at William Newton Hospital in Winfield, said Dan McClasky, a captain with Cowley County District 3 Fire Department. McClasky estimated Schooley to be in his 70s.

Schooley’s wife and adult grandson were able to escape the fire and call for help at 1:19 a.m.

McClasky described Schooley as a retired rancher.

“They were longtime residents, great people,” McClasky said. “Richard liked going down to the cafe. He always had a story to tell or a joke.”

McClasky said the fire likely started from a faulty extension cord attached to a space heater, adding that the modular house will likely be a total loss.

Subscribe to our newsletters

The Wichita Eagle welcomes your comments on news of the day. The more voices engaged in conversation, the better for us all, but do keep it civil. Please refrain from profanity, obscenity, spam, name-calling or attacking others for their views. Please see our commenting policy for more information.

Have a news tip? You can send it to wenews@wichitaeagle.com.

Search for a job

in

Top jobs