The holiday giving season is approaching, and Operation Holiday is already preparing to help low-income families and individuals have a brighter Christmas this year.
Program officials are asking for donations of thousands of new or gently used blankets; childrens and adult-sized coats in new or like-new condition; scarves, hats, mittens and other winter wear. The charity is also seeking nonperishable food items, cash contributions for grocery vouchers and hundreds of gifts for teenagers.
Toys for younger children again will be collected through a partnership with the U.S. Marines Toys for Tots. Donation sites will be listed on Inter-Faith Ministries website, www.interfaithwichita.org.
Applications for assistance will be accepted Nov. 11-27 at various sites across Wichita.
Applicants must be at least 18, live in or around Sedgwick County and have not requested assistance through the Salvation Armys Angel Tree program. They must provide ID and birth dates for all household members, proof of address and income, and a telephone number where they may be contacted.
Emancipated 17-year-olds with court documents may also apply.
Last year, Operation Holiday overseen by Inter-Faith Ministries helped 13,468 people. The program is in its 53rd year.
Families are struggling to make ends meet. It is even more difficult during the holiday season, newly appointed Operation Holiday director Cheryl Laird said in a news release.
My hope is that through Operation Holiday, their holidays are a little merrier.
Application sites and their hours of operation are:
• Atwater Neighborhood City Hall, 2755 E. 19th St.; 9:30 a.m.-noon, 1-6:30 p.m. Monday and Thursday; 9:30 a.m.-noon, 1-4:30 p.m. Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday. Closed Nov. 11.
• Colvin Neighborhood City Hall, 2820 E. Roosevelt; 9:30 a.m.-4 p.m. Monday-Friday. Closed Nov. 11.
• Evergreen Neighborhood City Hall, 2700 N. Woodland; 9:30 a.m.-12:30 p.m. and 2:30-4 p.m. Monday-Friday. Closed Nov. 11.
• Horace Mann Dual Language Magnet, 1243 N. Market; 8 a.m.-3 p.m. Tuesday-Thursday. Closed Nov. 11.
• Inter-Faith Ministries Operation Holiday Distribution Site, address to be announced; noon-6:30 p.m. Monday-Thursday; noon-5 p.m. Friday; 1-3 p.m. Saturday.
• Inter-Faith Ministries Enrichment Center, 902 N. Market; 9:30 a.m.-6:30 p.m. Monday-Friday.
• Victory Community of Faith, 812 S. Oliver; 10 a.m.-6:30 p.m. Monday, Tuesday and Thursday; 10 a.m.-3:30 p.m. Wednesday; 10 a.m.-5 p.m. Friday.
• St. Anne Middle School, 2801 S. Seneca, Nov. 11-15: 9-11 a.m. and 1-3 p.m. Monday, Wednesday and Friday; 9-11 a.m., 1-3 p.m. and 5-7 p.m. Tuesday and Thursday. Nov. 18-20: 9-11 a.m. and 1-3 p.m. Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday. Closed the week of Thanksgiving.
• Christ the King Catholic Church, 4411 W. Maple; 9-11 a.m. and 1-3 p.m. Monday-Friday; 10 a.m.-2 p.m. Saturday.
• St. Margaret Mary School, 2635 S. Pattie; 10 a.m.-3 p.m. Monday-Friday.
Spanish-speaking applicants may go to Colvin and Evergreen neighborhood city halls and Horace Mann Dual Language Magnet. For more information, go to ww.interfaithwichita.org.