Log Out | Member Center

75°F

89°/67°

Fire causes $165,000 damage at Maize duplex

  • The Wichita Eagle
  • Published Saturday, Oct. 19, 2013, at 10:06 p.m.

An electrical issue is likely to blame for a fire that caused an estimated $165,000 in damage at a Maize duplex Saturday, a Sedgwick County Fire Department official said following a preliminary investigation.

Capt. Carl Warren said one of the families living in the duplex was in the garage when the fire started about 6:30 p.m. and managed to escape unharmed. Shortly after that, fire crews arrived to find flames spilling out of the windows and attic, he said, but they were able to extinguish them in about 15 minutes.

One side of the duplex at 316 E. Harvest has been deemed a total loss, Warren said. The other sustained substantial smoke damage.

Warren said that both families living in the home, including several adults and children, are receiving help and temporary housing from the American Red Cross.

Reach Amy Renee Leiker at 316-268-6644 or aleiker@wichitaeagle.com. Follow her on Twitter: @amyreneeleiker.

Subscribe to our newsletters

The Wichita Eagle welcomes your comments on news of the day. The more voices engaged in conversation, the better for us all, but do keep it civil. Please refrain from profanity, obscenity, spam, name-calling or attacking others for their views. Please see our commenting policy for more information.

Have a news tip? You can send it to wenews@wichitaeagle.com.

Search for a job

in

Top jobs