Log Out | Member Center

83°F

98°/71°

Electrical problem blamed in fire at apartments on North Rock Road

  • The Wichita Eagle
  • Published Tuesday, Sep. 10, 2013, at 5:26 p.m.
  • Updated Wednesday, Sep. 11, 2013, at 8:50 a.m.

An electrical wire sparked a fire Tuesday afternoon at a north Wichita apartment complex, causing $300,000 in estimated damage, a Wichita fire investigator said.

Investigator Chris Dugan said the wire that malfunctioned was in a wall at Northpark Residences, 2801 N. Rock Road. Eight units sustained damage, fire officials said. No one was hurt. Seven residents were displaced, officials said.

Firefighters arrived at the complex after someone in the apartment’s office called 911 shortly after 4:30 p.m. to report a fire in unit 2204, a Sedgwick County dispatch supervisor said. Smoke and flames seen coming from the building prompted a request for additional firefighters to respond, the dispatch supervisor said.

The fire was ruled accidental, Dugan said.

Contributing: Stan Finger of The Eagle

Reach Amy Renee Leiker at 316-268-6644 or aleiker@wichitaeagle.com. Follow her on Twitter: @amyreneeleiker.

Subscribe to our newsletters

The Wichita Eagle welcomes your comments on news of the day. The more voices engaged in conversation, the better for us all, but do keep it civil. Please refrain from profanity, obscenity, spam, name-calling or attacking others for their views. Please see our commenting policy for more information.

Have a news tip? You can send it to wenews@wichitaeagle.com.

Search for a job

in

Top jobs